Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Injectors or Glow plugs

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sinner6.0L 
#1 ·
So I have three issues going on here and I dint know what to narrow it down to. First is hard starting in the mornings. This morning temp was 38 degrees and went into kind of a rolling start and blew some white smoke out the pipe. No cel light but on my sct scanner it reads a glow plug circuit failure. Not sure where to start on that one. Second is my motor temp never gets up above 182 since it has been cold. Oil never gets over 8 degrees then the coolant temp.

Called a diesel shop local to me and he said it sounds like a injector issue. Hope not cant afford new injectors right now. Ficm is 48.5 while cranking and never drops below 48 volts. Batteries load test out great and has a brand new alternator. Any ideas where to start?

#2 ·
Ok first off your thermostat is failed in the open position,go to Ford and pick up a new one they cost $28.00. Get the Ford one no chinese pats here, the factory thermostat fails in the open position, you need to be 195* ish for engine to run properly and your milage will surely go up after you install it.
For the glow plugs do you have a inductive amp meter, you want to clamp it on the wiring harness right off of glow controller and watch the amperage levels per side. The glow plugs draw 10-12 amps each compare both sides. Make sure the fuse is good for glow controller. Cant see all of them fail at once.

#4 ·
If you have a amp guage both banks should be close to the same amperage, if one side is drawing lower than the other than yes you have a glow plug down. Again the draw is 10-12 amps each, the math should be close if your 10 amps off +or- you know you do have a bad glow.

#5 ·
you can do a resistance check on the harness connector near the top of the valvecover. If you find high resistance just change that bank of plugs and the harness. usually it's just the glowplug but you'll probably kill the harness getting it out of the rocker box

I usually only mess with glowplugs when someone complains about it. 99% of the time cold start issues are injector/ficm related

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.