Very hard starting after head gaskets. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 02:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very hard starting after head gaskets. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Hey Guys,
I am new here and this is my very first post. I just replaced the head gaskets this week and after i put it all back together it will barely start. I did the ARP studs, factory head gaskets from International, all new injector o-rings, new push rods, new piston and rings on #2 cylinder, new rod bearings for #2 rod, new oil rail tubes that goes down to the HPOP as well as the part that screws in, EGR cooler and valve delete, and many many new gaskets. I have only got it to crank and run twice. The first time it started it took about 5 mins of cranking (not all at once) and it ran for maybe 30-45 seconds, missing a little as expected considering all fuel lines and oil system was apart. The second time it started (after killing the batteries the first time) it ran for maybe 5-10 minutes. I have almost killed the batteries again trying to get it to crank. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS. I am not new to diesel engines so dont tell me its the spark plugs or a flux compacitor. Thanks to everyone and anyone that can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Either air in the oil system so keep going for it. When I did mine I killed and changed my batteries three times and the last time used a charger and another truck to help start.

OR, IPR screen got clogged/ ripped from damage that got through during the repair. Happened to me once too.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:55 PM

Is there a trick way to get the air out of either systems?? As far as the fuel goes i was cracking the line loose at the front of the passenger head and turned the key on to see if any air was in there. Couldnt really tell to much but the fuel was pouring out with no problem.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The only way to get all the air purged is to let it run and drive it.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM

Thats the problem though, after all the cranking i have done and the idling for 10 mins, i figured it would have the air purged out enough to at least crank it some what easy.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Banned

When I did my truck and I started it for the first time I literally let it sit and idle in the driveway for about an hour and a half then took it for a drive and still let it idle again and never had a problem with it afterwards.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Something else also, when i say the first time starting it and then the second time starting it.....im not turning the truck off. It is dying on its own both times. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM
Banned

Keep trying it. Do you have any way to monitor live data while cranking and while it's running when it does start?
Old 11-26-2012, 03:57 PM

Yeah, thats the next step. I forgot my scanner in my box at work. Going to try it in the morning. It should be good. I dont know exactly what the model is but its made by SPX. It was about $2400 off the Matco truck. Now as far as the cranking goes, I know that the FICM has to have very close to 48V and the IPR pressure has to be a certian amount before it can start. How much does it have to be to crank?? It would be hard to believe that it would be bad now considering when it was missing going down the road it would go up to several thousand PSI.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Banned

500 PSI minimum ICP pressure to start. FICM has to see SYNC from the PCM and CMP and CKP sensors in order to fire the injectors while cranking. When its turning over is there any smoke coming from the exhaust at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.