ECT 183 EOT 208 FICM 29 ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2012, 02:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ECT 183 EOT 208 FICM 29 ?

I am trying to help my brother with his truck, and hoping I can use mine to eliminate a few possibilities like the reader not reading right.

My truck is a 2003 6.0, my brothers is a 2005 6.0. I recently purchased the torque app and 2 OBD II readers (one to keep in each vehicle) to check our temps.

Mine recently had a lot of work EGR delete, coolant flush, new oil cooler, studded. Mine with reader reads 181.5 ECT and 180.5 EOT, so if feel those readings are probably reading right on reader. My FICM Main power reads 48 Volts so I think that is probably close to.

What concerns me is his reads 183 ECT and 208 EOT on a basic 10 mile drive at about 55 mph after the temps stopped climbing. We were not towing anything. His truck has had the EGR Delete also after having EGR either cleaned or replaced twice, but no cooler work.

I don't know if one has anything to do with the other, but his FICM voltage seems off too. When I read his truck I get 29 on FICM when starting cold, after it warms up a while it finally makes it to 42 volts. He notices FICM voltage drops when he accelerates, I'm guessing the injectors are drawing more power and the FICM can't keep up supply, I really don't know. It has a solid 13.5 FICM LVOLT in. I have been reading on these a lot and some suggest it is cold solder joints in FICM.

Thanks for any help, he really doesn't know where to start and I mentioned I have read that either problem could lead to more expensive repairs if not taken care of now. I think I read a bad FICM can take out your injectors, and High EOT can cause head gaskets to blow. I don't even know what are acceptable temps or voltages for certain as there is a lot of information out there to digest.

Last edited by Paul2000; 11-25-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 05:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

For temps depending on the ambient air temps you are both reading lower than normal coolant temps you may need new thermostats the thermostat is designed to open at 190 to 195 deg.F The delta should be no more than 15 deg.F [the difference between the ect and eot] Eot should always be higher than ect. The coolant is supposed to cool the oil not the oil cooling the coolant.

Greater than a 15 deg. delta is a sign of a restricted oil cooler. Your brothers is restricted
You will need to do a coolant flush and probably replace his oil cooler.

I would also recomend putting a coolant filter on both trucks.
By the way all readings are dependant on the accuracy of what you are reading with.

Sorry forgot about the FICM your brothers is toast you can get it repaired at ficm repair.com and yes low voltages can take out injectors.

Last edited by dannyboy950; 11-25-2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Forgot about ficm
Old 11-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I agree with dannyboy, buy I think you should read both trucks temp readings after a cold soak, your temp sensor (s) may be bad, eot's are never lower than ect, almost impossible. Coolant filters are a must.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here read this.....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

^^^^ what they said, if you wondering what a cold soak is: left overnight and compare the ect-eot temps, should be the same +or- a degree.
And southend is right about the oil cooler temps not possible for the oil to be lower than crankcase temps unless you have a external oil cooler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.