6.0 Rough Start, Now No Start??? FICM??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 Rough Start, Now No Start??? FICM???

Hey guys, I'm in a little bit of a dilemma here. I have an 03 6.0 F-250. I'd like to say my problems seem to have started after my last oil change, I switched from Rotella to Delvac. After the oil change, I had alot of chugging after a cold start (by cold I mean 30-65 degrees outside), never had this problem last year, even in sub zero temps.

The other day, drove it to work where it sat overnight about 25 degrees out. Went to start it in the morning, cycled the glowplugs as usual and it kicked over then stalled. Tried it again and it would do the same thing over and over. It was puffing black smoke out the tailpipe when cranked. Came back later on and pushed it inside a garage, plugged it in (for the first time ever), put a space heater under it and after a few attempts it started. It was still running rough up until that point with the Delvac in it.

I figured after that it could very well be the oil and maybe even fuel filters. Today I drained the oil, put the Rotella 1540 back in and changed both fuel filters. After changing the fuel filters I cycled the fuel pump a few times before starting. Once it started there was no change in the way it ran, even put an additive in the fuel in case I got $h!t diesel. Once it hits about 2000RPM, it puffs blue smoke, and there is definitely a noticable miss and lack of power.

A buddy of mine suspects a bad FICM, and reading some of the forums on the net it seems like a distinct possibility. On a side note, I have had a battery light on the dash, however I'm getting between 13 and 14.7 volts at both batteries and the alternator, but I don't know if that could cause a low voltage condition for the FICM not to work. I did test the FICM using a volt meter, I had 47v with the battery off. I had the wife come out and crank the truck over to test the volts while cranked and running. Welp, it wouldn't even start, and I had huge fluctuations in voltage while she cranked it over.

My best guess is the FICM is bad, but its just strange considering all the circumstances and figured someone at there has had to have some experience with it. I don't have access to a scan tool, but when it was stranded at work the other night, I did have access to one and it threw no codes.

Don't want to buy the FICM if I'm not sure its the problem. Thanks in advance guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
What did the voltage drop to when cranking?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dropped to about 38 when cranking. Called a buddy of mine a ford mechanic; had me heat the housing with a propane torch and try starting. It started right up, he said definitely the FICM. Just got a preprogrammed refurb from northern auto parts for $483 including shipping and $200 core. Thanks for the reply!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmisbpd View Post
Dropped to about 38 when cranking. Called a buddy of mine a ford mechanic; had me heat the housing with a propane torch and try starting. It started right up, he said definitely the FICM. Just got a preprogrammed refurb from northern auto parts for $483 including shipping and $200 core. Thanks for the reply!
I would have went with the upgraded unit from Swamps vs. a stock replacment. Almost same price and 58v upgrade
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I looked at those I'm probably getting rid of the truck soon after I get it running though, ha
Old 11-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Should I feel bad that I am hoping its not the FICM....
Old 11-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Haha why is that give it to me straight!
Old 11-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

It just bugs me how many of these trucks get bandage'd back to running and then the guy sells them off to a unknowing"sucker". This just gives the truck a worse name than it did before which lowers the value of all these trucks even more.... I may be way off base and juz have a hair up my azz.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nah I'm doin the FICM new batteries and an alternator and I'm so torn about getting rid of it because I actually like it. I'm just not big into the mods, for me anyway. I like keeping it close to stock. I just feel like if I start dickin around under the good it will only lead to more problems. I really can't complain, I bought it for 12k and it had 84kmi on it, it's an fx4 lariat supercab. So if I have to sink a few bucks into it I figure I'm still ahead of the game. Don't worry Brotha no bandaging goin on here
Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinnisoj View Post
It just bugs me how many of these trucks get bandage'd back to running and then the guy sells them off to a unknowing"sucker". This just gives the truck a worse name than it did before which lowers the value of all these trucks even more.... I may be way off base and juz have a hair up my azz.
Amen to that kinnisoj ( hows the pine tree mod working for you LMAO), Pisses me off when guys jump on the forum and gripe when the truck won't start or left them stranded.
When you start getting the picture that the oil is changed every other year and the coolant is 7 years old from the factory and their mad that the oil temps are 40 degrees delta!?
This Powerstroke is a precision computer dependant engine with lots of new technology new to diesel industry. It needs to be treated as such, if it's maintained it is a fabulous engine with gads of power for its displacement.
It's a crying shame that it's been labeled a lemon mainly from tuner abuse and lack of taking care of it. I feel it's the best looking body style hood combo head lights ect Ford has made, even like them more than the 2012 for sure.
My truck has never made me walk and I will have it for years to come, hell the truck I had before my present 06 I had for 24 years. Only have 18 years to go.lol

Back to this guys issue: check both your batteries seperately with a load tester then check alternator output after 2 minutes from start. Ficm,s rarely just go out, odds are your batteries are shot or alt is bad or your cables are corroded up and power is low!
FICMREPAIR.COM will rebuild yours better than it came for a few hundred dollars IIRC.
$483.00 is really getting into your knickers..............choice is yours but you better figure out what killed it !!

Last edited by mhatlen; 11-24-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.