Injectors, now long crank - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Injectors, now long crank

Well i replaced all my injectors and now I have a long crank after you let it sit. If its running and you turn the truck off for a second and start it again, it seems to be ok. After just 15 minutes it takes a long time to crank and start. The truck runs great after it starts. I also did the blue fuel pressure spring upgrade.

Before i did the injectors it would start rather quickly. I would notice the engine would start before the oil pressure gauge came up at all, and now it cranks for so long the oil pressure gauge raises then the truck starts.

Any suggestions would help, I work an 4-12 today and need to get it fixed tomorrow, which would be a difficult task being a sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How many miles on truck since injectors were replaced?
Old 11-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

I would suspect one of the upper injector o-rings are causing a hpo leak, just a guess though.
You need to monitor your ICP pressure while cranking and idle,2000 rpm,s
Also IPR values to see if the percentage is above normal to make up for a leak in the system.
Possible it's a ficm issue just not as likely as hpo or fuel pressure issue.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The injectors have maybe 3 miles on them, i just did them yesterday. I will be installing a new IPR valve and ICP sensor tomorrow and then see if that fixes the issue. If not, Most likely ill be ripping it back part to remove the high pressure oil web to check the o-rings. What else could i check while in there? I dont have a scanner/monitor which sucks, i'll just do what i can and try and find someone with a scanner if i dont fix it.

Almost 2 years ago now the dealer installed a new HPOP, do you think they would have replaced the STC oil fitting when in there? I am not sure, the RO doesnt say anything about it.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:05 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Drive s**t out of it. You have a lot of air in the system which causing your whole problem. Will take a while to get all the air out.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

dhanna, ill try this, how long should i do this to see if the long start doesnt go away? It is running so good now, i really like it, but it was a huge bummer when it wouldnt start like it should. I hope running the piss out of it helps!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuty2004 View Post
dhanna, ill try this, how long should i do this to see if the long start doesnt go away? It is running so good now, i really like it, but it was a huge bummer when it wouldnt start like it should. I hope running the piss out of it helps!
I guarantee it will get better. It's gonna take a good amount. Go on a good 20-30 mile drive and see what happens. Also, if your truck is an 04, it doesn't have the STC fitting. Make sure you're using Motorcraft oil filter and factory cap too. That will contribute to a longer crank but I'll almost bet money you still have a ton of air in the system.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
I guarantee it will get better. It's gonna take a good amount. Go on a good 20-30 mile drive and see what happens. Also, if your truck is an 04, it doesn't have the STC fitting. Make sure you're using Motorcraft oil filter and factory cap too. That will contribute to a longer crank but I'll almost bet money you still have a ton of air in the system.
It has improved! It is an 04, but has the late 04 engine. Am I still in the clear on the STC fitting? I always use motorcraft oil filter, and i would assume the cap is too, ill make sure the cap is also. I'm going to change the ICP and IRP also just because i have them, and with 175000 on the truck it cant hurt. Thanks for the help
Old 11-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

You still shouldn't have the STC fitting.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.