I need some advise please - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Johnson
I need some advise please

background…I bought a 2005 F-250 FX4 Super Duty Crew Cab Lariot with an engine problem in 2010. The truck ran but overheated and would not restart due to a hydra-lock, after setting for about 20 minutes it would restart. I put the truck in my garage and didn't do anything to work on it until March of 2012. I didn't know exactly what was wrong with the truck so while the truck sat in the garage I began watching videos, reading forums, talking with people who "knew" about the 6.0 Powerstroke and I tried to absorb as much information as I could. I didn't know if I was dealing with a head gasket or an EGR cooler?…So I figured what the hell? I purchased the sinister EGR delete kit, up pipe, factory ford oil cooler and all the gaskets. the oval screen beneath the oil cooler was torn, I replaced it also…looking back, it might have came with the kit. installed the sinister block off plate where the EGR valve used to be. I started the truck and all was good, I have put 12,000 miles on the truck since the repair was made so I figured all was good. I park in a heated garage because I notice when the truck is cold is runs horrible until the engine warms up. I have been putting up with this for quite a long time, if I would try to drive without the engine being up to temperature it would really drive bad, not want to shift, ect…I noticed my battery light came on and off a few times, so I replaced the alternator Friday at work, now the truck will not restart. The only thing I did that was out of the ordinary was I drove the truck to work without letting it warm up. It seemed to smooth out like normal when on the highway, but I noticed it didn't have the normal power?…my mind was on work and I didn't think much of it, as I was getting ready to leave to go home….crank crank crank, no start….a fellow mechanic suggested replacing the crap autozone batteries in the truck, so I had NAPA send me the best batteries for the truck. Of course no restart, unplugged the ICP and tried again, no restart. checked all connections under hood, found nothing a miss. hooked up a matco scan tool and found FICM voltage was 46-48 volts KOEO and while cranking…((let me back up, before this no start happend FICM was suspect so I had been monitoring voltage for a few days…there were times voltage fell below 45 but just for a few seconds, that was with old Duralast Batteries)) so I figured it was the STC fitting on the HPOP, even though it drove there…seemed most likely to me, tore the truck down, removed HPOP and the STC fitting seemed in tact, but when I removed the IPR the screen had debris on it and had a small tear? I hooked shop air to the HPOP and oil came out of the rubber seal on the shaft, but none seemed to escape through the STC fitting?…what is the debris on the IPR screen? looked like microscopic "BB's"?…holidays are upon us, money is tight as hell, I have a 1996 F-150 4X4 as a back up, but I want my diesel back and running right…..any help would be appreciated…..

Joe Johnson
317-796-2289
joe_johnson1073@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like you may have had some residual lint / debris hit the IPR screen after working on the oil cooler. Unfortunately, I've seen this happen on more than one occasion. Exactly how did you clean the HPOP reservoir?

Last edited by Snake; 11-22-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Its been a long time since I made that repair, I could have gotten some debris down there, I probably used BrakeKleen and microfiber towels, I would have used 3M scotchbright wheels to clean around the O-ring surface…but could that have been in there for 7-8 months and 3 oil changes?…also I use "Baldwin" oil filters from TruckPro...
Old 11-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Man, there could be a bunch of different things causing the issues you're seeing. No kidding, I'd start by going back to a Motorcraft oil filter and an OEM oil filter cap. It's the least expensive repair option and could very well cause some of the issues you're experiencing.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

the ICP pressure was about 3lbs KOEO…while cranking it shot up to 279lbs, I know it takes at least 500 lbs to start, I guess my question is can I replace the IPR sensor and do the STC fitting upgrade without replacing the HPOP?…will I have any luck? or is the high pressure oil issue somewhere else? dummy plug? ect?…just so damn odd that it didn't die?…I shut the truck off, then no restart?…one other thing, 2 days prior to the no start, I changed the fuel filters with Baldwin fuel filters
Old 11-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

great advice, thanks I will keep you posted on the progress, I am going to work on it tomorrow…thanks again, and Happy Thanksgiving, if you think of something I am overlooking, please don't hesitate to post...
Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

seems I'm having the same problem with my truck, f250 xlt diesel 6.0 2006. starts cold but, soon as I turn off will not start until 6hrs later. computers reads different things but, they are all connected to the same problem. Now I have code 2285 with engine light on. Dealer did my last oil change I now have leak coming out of the oil filter under hood squirting out. Someone says it's a pressure leak but, where? in the standpipe don't know. Truck runs great 98km not even broken in yet. I unplug the ICP sometimes it starts up but, computer says that's not the problem. Anyone with same problem any help I could use hope it does not cost alot to fix. I was told that these engines are defective from International with loads of problems after awhile.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Man, there could be a bunch of different things causing the issues you're seeing. No kidding, I'd start by going back to a Motorcraft oil filter and an OEM oil filter cap. It's the least expensive repair option and could very well cause some of the issues you're experiencing.
Motorcraft filters and matching cap only, watch the video......http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/f...k-filters.aspx
As suggested, you may not be filtering the oil and trash made it to the ipr.....good luck.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks southend….great video, I'll be sure to use Motorcraft filters from now on...
Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnson View Post
thanks southend….great video, I'll be sure to use Motorcraft filters from now on...
Welcome, keep us updated.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.