Glow plugs shutting off early? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 09:40 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Glow plugs shutting off early?

I tried to search this out, but I canít seem to find an answer.

I'm having what I believe to be stiction, the truck knocks a little for a few seconds on a cold start up, and blows some grey smoke till the temperature starts to rise.

My usual start up procedure is to wait a few seconds after start up, then turn on the high idle. I was watching my volt meter after starting it up, and 3 times in the last few weeks I noticed that the volts are jumping up very quickly, as opposed to creeping up until the glow plugs shut off.

Iím wondering if I have a glow plug issue contributing to the stiction.
Has anyone else experienced something like this with their glow plugs? What do I need to do to perform a buzz test, and will that only show a problem with a particular plug?

Ití a 2005 F350 4x4 6 speed with the egr deleted and arp studs. I have a Banks pda and Iím not throwing any codes, the batteries are 8 months old and I trickle charge them every day. I had my ficm repaired by ficmrepair.com 8 months ago, I updated the fuel pressure spring and replaced the fuel filters in May. I am running rotilla 10w 30, I have the stock oil filter with stock cap and change the oil no more than 5000 kilometers (usually a 4000 kms). The temperature of the engine overnight before starting is anywhere from 32 to 60 degrees Fahrenheit.

thanks,
Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Premium Member

Temperature: Below 40*F you may get a few seconds of rough running. That is not a problem if it goes away after a few seconds. many don't see any lope or misses unless cold below 30*F. Of course the truck is not plugged in. Have you searched out cold start issues in the stickies?

Glow plugs usually throw codes, but not always with a simple monitor. You can do a search for glow plug testing on google and youtube.

The real KOEO buzz test can only be done with diagnostic tools like autoenginuity or similar interfaces. Certainly only for the contribution balance test if you need that.

You should give your truck more time before high idle.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the info, the problem seems to be showing up at temperatures in the mid 40's up to the 60's. Even had a rough start with it plugged in, but it was -14 Celsius out. I put in winter fuel additive, but maybe not enough or where I filled up hadn't switched to winter fuel yet.

I've done some reading on the injectors, I have ordered new fuel filters, and will be changing to t6 5w 40 and adding archoil 9100 next week. Going to make a run to the states for the weekend and pick up a bunch of oil, it will almost cover the cost of hotel room.

Would you bother running the t6 on its own for a while, then going with the archoil and seeing if it either one make a difference, or just add both at the same time?

Phil
Old 11-22-2012, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

We have been on winter fuel for quite a while already, if you buy from a larger volume seller. Anti-gel is already in the fuel. The archoil 9100 might help. Works for some, but not all.

As far as oil goes, I have been using synthetics for the past 10 years. Either 0w40 or 5w40. Coop or Rotella T6. I haven't noticed any difference between them. The tractor loves it for cold starts, especially when it's not plugged in and I need to plow at -20 or colder.

Again, since you have no codes, a contribution test might find the problem, if there is one.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:58 AM

Check your FICM. What is the voltage?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM

My monitor doesn't show the Ficm voltage, but it is not throwing a code like last time. I think I'm going to give the new oil a try. If I'm not happy I'll buy a more comprehensive monitor and start digging in.

Still kind of wondering about the glow plugs shutting off early, has anyone else noticed this, or heard of it?

Thanks for the responses,
Phil
Old 11-23-2012, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

FICM

You may work to rule out the FICM before suspecting glow plugs. Test is pretty simple to carry out. Check out my posts for a detailed description if you like.

As said earlier, you would probably see codes with glow plug problems.

Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2012, 08:17 AM

Thanks fuzzman, I watched that video when I was searching out how to test the Ficm, it's a good one. I wrapped the positive test lead with electrical tape, and just left the tip out to make sure I didn't bump the case and fry the board. Figured it would be just my luck to slip at the wrong time.

Phil
Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Glad that helped. How did the FICM test?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:19 PM

I haven't actually tested out the Ficm this time, as its not throwing any codes. I did the test last march to confirm my Ficm was in need of repair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.