2004 F250 engine oil temp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
2004 F250 engine oil temp

I am on the fence on buying a 04 f250 truck that supposably needs a engine because they ran it too hot. I do alot of work on these 6.0 but havent got a chance to really look at it myself to see if it really does need a engine. The truck was mssing a battery so I put a jump box on the other battery and hooked some cables to the missing battery side. I cranked it over but it was not enough juice to crank it really good but the motor sounds ok. I pulled the oil filter and it had a wix filter and had actually got it hot enough to melt the plastic part of the filter. I also noticed there was oil in the coolant which obviously there was a oil cooler issue. I shop looked at the truck and not sure what they know about 6.0 but they are the ones that said it needed a motor. I have done everything to these motors from head studs to egr cooler deletes to oil coolers but I have never seen one of these motors ruin because it got too hot. I know obviously that any motor will ruin if too hot but I thought these trucks half *** govern down when too hot or atleast the later model 6.0 trucks do. Anyways, I just was wanting to get some more opinions from yall on to what you think. The truck is a 2004 F250 crew cab 4 wheel drive with 228,000 miles. It has a brand new Big Tex flat bed and a clean clear title. I can get the truck for $6000. Let me know yalls opinion. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
If the oil tube is melted that engine is thru, odds are there is severe mechanical damage throughout. Probably melted pistons too, when plastic is melting where oil is at I would guess your well above 300 degrees there and who knows what the combustion chamber temps were.
Is the wiring harness melted where it is in contact with the block?
I would not buy anything thats been overheated, you just don't know how far you have to get into it. If you have a replacement engine for it then that's another story.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

Would you buy it for $12k if the engine was good? There are a number of good engines available if you look hard enough. I just sold one complete with accessories for $4k. You could always go to the dark side with a conversion.

My thought is you should be able to get the truck for less cash, but someone wants to recoup some of the cost of the flat-deck.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

To me the flat bed alone is worth the 6k the truck would be free for all intents and purposes. Depends in the end how much do ya need a flatbed truck and what would a comparable truck go for with a good engine. If ya can drop in a engine and still be ahead
of the game I would go for it.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I would get it. Either sell with flatbed or find a bed to sell truck stock and sell flatbed separately.
Make money either way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.