Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Heater blowing cold on the highway

3K views 20 replies 3 participants last post by  Tuscany 
#1 ·
Well recently it has been about -20 here and heater works great when my truck is idling or cruising around town. However I soon as I get on it on the highway and go say 70+ the heat goes away :( and I'm left with cold air. What could be causing this? A side note if I stop and rev it up my coolant temp drops from 190 to 172ish slowly however if I just stay on the highway it will stay up at 190...

Thanks for any help from a very cold Canadian after Driving 5 hours today.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
#5 ·
Bryan how could head gaskets cause a drop in interior temperature? And yes it pukes coolant, puked for about a year now. I just do not know how that would cause my temp to drop.

How about my bypass coolant filter being clogged? Could that cause any problems?

#6 ·
If it has blown head gaskets it will push the coolant out of the degas bottle causing it to lower past the heater core (it sits HIGHER than the degas bottle and rest of the cooling system) so while there is enough coolant to continue circulating through the system and keep from overheating (for now) it will not reach the heater core and produce heat in the cab. That is the first indicator I used in my truck to diagnose blown head gaskets on mine last winter when they blew.

Either that or your EGR cooler is ruptured (if it's still intact, no description in your sig for an EGR delete).

#7 ·
Egr cooler was ruptured and deleted not to long ago. Poured 2L into degas bottle today hahah guess you were right, how long did you limp yours for? Where's the coolant going though doesn't look like its pouring out the degas bottle although it is pretty dirty

#8 ·
It's getting pushed out of the degas bottle. May be a little at a time or a lot at a time and dries before you notice it. I drove mine like that (babied) for a few months however I don't recommend doing it as it can and will cause the head gasket to leak worse and worse over time. That will make it puke A LOT and can cause your truck to overheat. When that happens you significantly increase your risk of cracking the heads and costing yourself thousands more in repairs because you have to buy new heads then.

#9 ·
Ah I see so that pretty much guarantees that my head gaskets are gone. Well I can add rebuilding motor to the ever long list of things to do, including swap out rear diff, new tranny and coil over front swap

#11 ·
Well just went out and did some more investigation and there is a coolant leak looks like its in the v of the block and it is probably coming from sinister a ****ty egr delete

#12 ·
Well Bryan pretty sure the little boot on the egr delete is leaking while truck is cold and was dripping off the block to the ground through the v in the block however when she warmed up not a drip. Could be because when motor is warm coolant evaporates instantly. I'm at a loss with this motor. What have you heard about the gen 2 ipr egr delete already emailed sinister about the ****ty quality of there kit when I installed in 2 months ago never heard back from them. I don't want to rip into my motor until the spring when I can compile all the parts I want for the motor. However it's not looking good

#13 ·
IPR's Gen 2 delete kit is the best EGR delete kit on the market. However if you ever have plans on using BulletProofDiesel's Oil Cooler Kit than your either forced to use an EGR cooler or the chitty 2 piece style EGR deletes like sinisters kit unfortunately.

#14 ·
Why wouldn't it fit with bpds oil cooler kit?

#15 · (Edited)
Because on BPD's kit it doesn't use the 2 piece cover and tubing for the EGR hose like the factory one does. It only has a coolant nipple sticking out of the Billet Aluminum block that the hose connects to. The Gen 2 Kit replaces the factory nipple and cover piece with a bolt on solid aluminum piece.

BPD's EGR coolant line.

OEM EGR line.

#16 ·
#17 ·
See above post I added pics showing the differences. IPR's Gen 2 you have to remove the 2 torx screws that hold the cover and hose nipple assembly out and remove those. Then the Gen 2 replaces the hose nipple and cover assembly and uses the torx screws to hold it in place on the OEM oil cooler housing.

#19 ·
Ah yes I see that now bpd uses factory outlet but not with the same style. Could you somehow hook up stainless braided hose from bpds kit to the factory location

#21 ·
I'm sure you could. If you wanted to pay for braided stainless hose to do it with. Either way your still left with one part that can fail just like the rest of the 2 piece EGR deletes. But like I said if you wanted to if you cut out the EGR garbage out of an intake manifold than you could simply run the coolant straight to the degas bottle and be done with it.

#20 ·
I figure if you want to go HIGH performance lol and get a intake manifold with the EGR part cut out of the manifold than you could either use the BPD like to run straight back to the degas bottle or if you got one of Adrain's stage 4's with water cooling as an option than you could run the coolant line straight from the factory outlet on the oil cooler housing to the turbo and then back to the degas bottle. Or you could simply install a full flow inline coolant filter and have it empty back to the degas bottle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.