2003 6.0 6speed no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 2003 6.0 6speed no start

Ok so a friend of a friend has a 2003 F250 4x4 reg cab 6.0 with a 6 speed tranny. It has 212k on truck.. Motor been serviced as it should but beds rough. Truck started running lil rough, ran rough for couple weeks then died.. Boy changed fuel filter and pump and starter.. Would start but after bout 30 secs would die and no start back.. His friend hooked computer to it from older model truck and pulled code for #2 injector.. He doesn't wanna mess with it so said 2k and I could have it... Good buy? Worth it to buy? Any suggestions on issue? 4x4 works and tranny shifts good before motor stopped.. Oh and truck white before shut down on him.. All opinions would be nice.. I was really wanting to fix and see what the 6.0 had power wise.. Don't wanna sink 10k in tho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 01:53 PM

It could be any number of different causes...ranging from expensive to a possible DIY solder fix. I had a very similar issue with mine, and I resoldered 4 resistors on the FICM and was back up and running. For 2k....I would buy it....fix it and sell it for more than triple....then sink the profit back into mine. You really need a monitor to see what the truck is actually doing to cause it to not start. It may even be worth it to have it towed to a shop to have it checked out if you can't borrow, or know someone with one. Just my two cents.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya thanks. Hey any help is good help.. I've heard good stories bout 6.0 being bad *** once head studs and egr deleted and wanted to see.. Nothing else I thought bout converting my 7.3 to speed.. But wife wants me to buy it, fix it, and she take mine.. I thought bout taking to to ford dealer to let them look at it.. I think that's 75 bucks... I just didn't know if anyone but me thought it may be worth it..
Old 11-20-2012, 03:29 PM
Premium Member

First I thought FICM, but then you said something about "white" before it shut down. Did it blow massive amount of white at that time?

Pull the EGR valve out and take a peek in there. See what you see.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ya

I was not there when it smoked.. I am just going off here say which sucks... Why what u thinking?
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM

Possible EGR

White smoke could be (more than likely if it was excessive amounts) a failed EGR cooler, blown head gasket, or both (since a failed EGR cooler leads to the gasket going). I would like to add though....that a FICM could also cause some smoke. Mine blew a little before my FICM went out. That is actually the easiest thing to test. There are quite a few good write ups about it. I also have some good info on repairing the FICM. It really just involves patience and some solder experience.....as the parts are small that are being soldered. That would be the quickest / easiest first crack at trying to figure out what is going on. You can also rent a coolant system pressure tester from an auto parts store. That would give you a good indication of headgasket or EGR failure. There is a certain adapter they have to have though, since the 6.0's don't have radiator caps....just degas caps. If you want the info on the FICM, shoot me a pm.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Kevin:

if you wouldnt mind sharing that FICM info I think on the trail of a bad one myself.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:21 PM

Send me a pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Glen View Post
Kevin:

if you wouldnt mind sharing that FICM info I think on the trail of a bad one myself.
Hey Capt.....I wouldn't mind at all....send me a pm with your email and I will send it your way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.