Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

HELP! Ran then shut off, now crank no start

6K views 38 replies 5 participants last post by  southend 
#1 ·
Just replaced oil cooler, started up no problem, ran for 15 minutes then shut off. Im out of ideas, energy and money! Ive unplugged ICP to see if it would start, but does not.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd start with your connectors in the back of the FICM sounds like one might have not snapped in all the way then worked out while it was running

#5 ·
Gotta have battery charger while cranking, trash probably went through the hpop, and shot it through the ipr. Take the ipr off, inspect the screen. If you read icp, it should be at least 500 psi, ipr 15-25%, if ipr is 85%, it is stuck open. This is a common problem posted all the time.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#12 ·
Well i got the batterires charged back up. Tried to crank this morning. ICP wont go over 140 psi. IPR at around 14-15% with key on, then while cranking goes to about 84-85%, then back down to 14-15% after i stopped trying to crank.

Does this sound like the ICP sensor gone bad?

#6 ·
I guess I'll have to get a battery charger and get the batteries charged bck up. PLease tell me that the intake doenst have to come out in order to get to the IPR...I have 06/04 build date. Engine says 2004on the sticker. Does it need an updated STC fitting?

#7 ·
Ipr can come out without removing the intake, it's a pain. You do not have an stc, did you update the dummy plugs, and stsndpipes?

#8 ·
I did not update dp and standpipes. I didnt have the valve covers off. All i really wanted to do was replace the oil cooler and repaired the cracked ypipe and egr delete. I got everything back together, checked for leaks, it ran fine for 15 minutes then just shut off.

Should I replace the IPR or clean it somehow? I really want to try and narrow the problem down before i dig back into taking things apart again!

#9 ·
Read ipr, and icp while cranking, that will tell you if you have trash in the ipr. Not too many people have had success cleaning the ipr, it's a case by case basis. Get those readings.

#11 ·
Some have been able to clean it and replace the filter, you need to inspect it to see if trash actually got in it. International, sunrise ford (supporting vendor), or tousley ford, in that order.

#15 ·
Yes. Changing the icp out will not make your engine produce more pressure. The ipr is commanding more oil pressure, its just not building it. I've explained it the best I know how. Go here and download the coffee table book, it will give you a run down on all the engine systems.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-08.php
The only thing you can possibly do right now is either, perform a hpo leak test, or pull the ipr and inspect it.

#19 ·
Try unplugging the ICP it may not be reading right when you unplug it goes to default mode if it fire with it unplugged replace ICP sensor

#22 ·
Make sure it's not stuck inside?

#24 ·
I was thinking inside of where the valve slides in. Idk, I havent been that deep into one yet.

#26 ·
Iirc, any pieces would have went through the ipr and dumped back to the oil pan. It is basically a regulator so whatever goes through the valve dumps out. Did you look in the hole where the ipr came out?

#29 ·
Thats more work, just fish it out with a pick, carefully.

#32 ·
Replaced IPR, put everything back together and fired right up. Now im having a problem with what i think may have something to do with the turbo. I dont have a boost gauge, but it seem like im getting no boost. I can floor the accelerator but the truck has no power and cant even get out of its own way. I cleaned the turbo while i had it out and used anti sieze on the unison rings and veins. I had the ypipe repaired by having an exhaust bellow welded in to replace the broken section.

The truck has been sitting for two weeks without being run.

Any advice?

#33 ·
You may need to do the turbo relearn procedure, and it takes a bit of running on the highway to work the air out of the oil and fuel system. What year is your truck?

#35 ·
I've seen it posted, need to google it, air in the transmission, low on fluid is possible, but the air should work out soon enough. Recheck all your fluids. Monitor your pids.

#36 ·
Check the MAP sensor hose that goes from the intake to the MAP sensor. Make sure its hooked up. If that dont do it, check for any boost leaks or exhaust leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.