Newbie Q's on: IPR; IPC; Blue spring mod. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Location: scenic hills of east Oklahoma, 40 mi from Ft Smith, AR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie Q's on: IPR; IPC; Blue spring mod.

Hi, another newbie on here looking for knowledge on getting an '05 6.0 to a very health status and keeping it there. While working on removing the FICM today, with help from this and some other good sites, I told my wife that when we bought this truck new in July of '05 I had no idea that the experience would be something akin to having another child. It reminds me of the book title from the late '60's or early '70's called "The Zen of Motorcycle Maintenance."

Last summer during vacation the truck odo went from about 73,500 to near 76,000, expiring the first ESP warranty we had purchased in '08. On one cool morning in the Great Smokies we noticed white smoke exhaust; back home one week later temp spiked, mech'l. fan stayed on. I had it towed to dealer who had done all maintenance since new. Paid for the usual repairs of EGR system, oil cooler, fan clutch; bought ARP studs and had the dealer (hopefully) install them. In the spring Ford had sent a flyer trying to sell me another ESP warranty. Since I had not used the first warranty I bought, have a kid in college and everything seemed to be fine (in hindsight I see the symptoms were there, I just didn't know what they meant), I declined to buy another.

After the repairs were done we bought the Extracare warranty for another 4yr/48K miles, and of course 4 months later I am having the FICM rebuilt, which is not covered on the warranty. Having done a fair amount of reading on these forums in the last 4 months, I am of course thinking about what else would be wise to do for prevention of more disaster.

I have done several searches to get a definition of "IPR" with no luck. I do see the location of the IPR valve in the 6.0 Bible illustration, and think I have a reasonable idea of what it does, but would like to know the meaning of the letters, as well as "ICP" (I get the idea it has to do with injection pressure?)

Two others I would appreciate just a brief explanation of are:

- Blue spring and Blue spring mod
- 6.4 banjo (bolt?) mod

Other pertinent info on my truck is: alternator seems to be putting out only 30-45 amps, according to a basic metering by the dealer and by O'Reilly's, but not sure until i can get it to the dealer for a tech to hook up the diagnostic computer, but will have it replaced on my warranty; just replaced both batteries yesterday, 11-17-12.

I have had a Bully Dog downloader/programs and Monitor installed since 12/07at about 26K miles. I rarely get the after-turbo pyrometer temp up to 800 degrees, usually not over 650-700 degrees. Havn't towed or been on any long trips since the engine repairs with exception of 500 mi. roundtrip last weekend. I didn't watch the ECT/EOT delta very closely on that trip, or I don't remember doing so, but I have occasionally noticed a delta of 12-14 degrees. Most of my driving is local small town and rural two-lane, and only about 3,500 miles since engine repairs. I live two miles from my office and many days don't drive more than 6-7 miles; make a 90 mi roundtrip to closest city, plus 20-30 miles of city driving, every 1-2 months.

Thanks for explanations of above items and any other comments/suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 01:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Injection Control Pressure sensor. A sensor that tells the PCM what the oil pressure is in the HPOP system. The PCM has to see/have a minimum reading of 500 psi for it to tell the FICM to fire the injectors. No 500 psi no start. Mounted on the front of passenger side valve cover on a 05.

Injection Pressure Regulator: A electric solenoid regulator valve that controls the HPOP output pressure. Mounted on HPOP cover under turbo & intake. Hard to get too.

Blue spring and blue spring mod are the same thing. On the side of the upper fuel filter houseing is a keyhole shaped cover. It is the fuel pressure regulator, inside is a springe and plunger regulate pressure to 55 psi. The blue spring mod is a replacement kit with a stronger (blue) spring which increases the fuel pressure.

Banjo bolt mod: On your truck unneeded

Hope this helps. Now I am off to bed g-nite
Old 11-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Go here and download the book......http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articl...icle-06-08.php

Read all the stickies, and get a monitor on that truck.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you Dannyboy and Southend.
It looks like the Blue spring mod is very common on these forums, so I take it that it is a good preventive to do on all years of 6.0 ? What skill level is that, as I am mostly ShadeTree level?

I looked at the link from Southend, the books. There are five books or updates on the 6.0 engine and turbo, plus one on the FICM. Have not looked at each of them yet, but will. Looking at the one on turbo now - very nice material, easy to see illustrations and to read.

To help get the FICM out this weekend I took the turbo inlet tube off, and looked at the turbine. Looks clean and straight, but one blade has a copper colored edge, which i thought is strange and wonder if that blade had contacted the housing, though it otherwise looks fine. The Ford tech. supposedly cleaned the turbo this summer in the repairs. It was carboned up on the hot side, but not terrible. I just hope that he made sure all the variable position blades worked well, as we talked about that, and he said he would clean and make sure they were all working.

The Bully Dog Monitor can be set to show injector pressure, I suppose out of the ICP, and injector pulse width, but no other injector or fuel info. I do look at oil and coolant temps on it, but not all the time, esp. just short around town driving a few miles. On boost, the BD monitor shows 1-2 psi higher than the little Ford analog gauge, which is of course an estimate as far as reading it in most needle positions.

Southend, are there other parameters you are referring to watching, or would my BD monitor be sufficient?

Thanks again for the help guys, much appreciated.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Premium Member

Read at least the first page.......Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

I dont know anything about the bullydog, I have an edge cts, and think the scanguage II, is the best for the money.
I monitor ect, eot, ficm, icp, vgt%, trans temp, and boost.
Deltas approaching 15, is considered a clogged oil cooler.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks, Southend.

I will eventually check out the scanguage II, but don't have the extra bucks now to buy another gadget. Will monitor eot and ect more regularly with my BD monitor. What is the specific parameter you are watching for the FICM?
Is it the overall injection pressure? That is available on the BD monitor. From the little i have watched it, appears to range from approx. 1000 to 3000 psi., a very approx. estimation from memory of watching it several days ago, and only for maybe 50 miles of driving in town and 2 lane hwy.

Are you watching the trans temp because of some effect on the engine, or just because you are towing a lot of wt. often?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwblue05 View Post
Thanks, Southend.

I will eventually check out the scanguage II, but don't have the extra bucks now to buy another gadget. Will monitor eot and ect more regularly with my BD monitor. What is the specific parameter you are watching for the FICM?
Is it the overall injection pressure? That is available on the BD monitor. From the little i have watched it, appears to range from approx. 1000 to 3000 psi., a very approx. estimation from memory of watching it several days ago, and only for maybe 50 miles of driving in town and 2 lane hwy.

Are you watching the trans temp because of some effect on the engine, or just because you are towing a lot of wt. often?
For ficm you dont want to fall below 46v cold/hot, koeo, koec, and running down the road, that is an indication of ficm failure. Icp should be around 650psi @ idle, and up to 3000 psi driving. I watch trans, just because the truck is fairly new to me and I was curious, I have not towed with it yet.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Is it safe to do the Blue Spring upgrade with out a fuel pressure gauge?
Old 12-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Safe? Many do it without a pressure check, some with success, some not so succesful. If you have not performed a fuel pressure check, how do you know if the blue spring is necessary? Same question, if you do not check it after installing it , how would you know it was installed correctly. It is pretty straight forward for the average guy/gal. I would check it first, then verify afterwards. Pressure below 45psi is bad for injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.