6.0 fuel mileage drop - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 02:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 fuel mileage drop

Just here lately ive been using quite a bit more fuel. I was getting 18-20 hwy now im down to 12-14 and 14 is on a good 60 mph day on the Hwy. i have 4000 miles on an oil change. Everything else is the same. Is this the effects of this winter blend diesel fuel crap that ive been seeing little stickers at the gas station about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012, 02:11 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Do you have a engine monitor,ScanguageII Edge ect ?
My guess would be a weak ficm. Do you notice more soot on rear fender from exhaust??

Then again all I ever get is 12-14mpg. Have a ficm coming with the Atlas40 tune and hope to go up maybe a little. If not a little more power will be a nice treat.

Last edited by mhatlen; 11-17-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:14 PM

No? There has always been a little black haze on the bottom of the rear corner by the tip but it hasnt been any more then usual.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Btw, truck is all stock besides turbo back exhaust. No programers. Egr delete, oil cooler and blue spring injector upgrade. 237,xxx miles
Old 11-17-2012, 02:25 PM

Honestly the best thing you can do is pick yourself up a scan-tool/ monitor for the engine values.
Auto Zone sells the ScanguageII for $160.00 and it's what I am using to monitor all the engine values. It's not the best one out there but for the price it's unbeatable. It will see everything the PCM (onboard computer sees) You can monitor FICM values coolant temps oil cooler temps egr map,maf ebp pretty much everything.
You can get a good picture of the health of the engine with that little thing, it's also a code reader and if you are having a problem it will show you what's going on.
What I am saying is get yourself a scantool of whatever you prefer and take a look at the FICM voltages to start with.
One other thing that can hurt you is if your egr is hanging up it will hurt power and milage(Scanguage monitors that as well).
Old 11-17-2012, 02:26 PM

Ok never mind the egr. lol
Old 11-17-2012, 02:39 PM

As far as the winter blend it's not going to drop 5-6 mpg IMO.
There is another way to check ficm power at the ficm itself but it's not a easy task to pull off the inspection plate and meter it out while truck is running. If you ground out the voltmeter probe you will take out the ficm so I don't recommend it unless you have a steady hand.
Get yourself a scantool, it's really a must have item and I keep my ScanguageII plugged in all the time and use it for guages oil/coolant temps ficm,and hpop mainly.
There is a guy on this forum named Tuscany who sells monitoring equipment I think he handles several different brands. Scanguage is a on the shelf item at Auto Zone and is by far the best money I ever spent on my truck PERIOD!!. Knowing the oil temps on the 6.0 is extremely important because if it's running too hot it can set off a chain reaction of very expensive repair bills.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:03 PM

Just had the codes ran, only code it threw was p0403 and p0405 and those were both egr codes.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Any chance its the oil? Has about 4-5k on the oil in it.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark7.3 View Post
Any chance its the oil? Has about 4-5k on the oil in it.
No it's not the oil, now I have heard talk of 5W/40 getting better fuel economy than the 15W/40 but 4,000 miles on oil is still fine.
You can check all your intake boots to make sure they are all tight and no leaks from intercooler. I am guessing that your boost pressure is normal as usual?
Also check your plastic up pipe for any cracking at the bellow or flex area.

Is it running the same as usual?
Cold starts smooth?
Air filter ok?

You really need a way to read live data to see how the engine is actually runninng. A monitoring device can also keep you from having a major issue in regards to oil cooler failure can also see the health of the high pressure system
Low fuel pressure can also cause you a loss in fuel economy.

My list on must have bare minimum:

Live data monitoring Edge insight/ScanguageII ect.
Coolant filter.
Blue spring mod for fuel pressure regulator.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.