Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

This has me stumped!

2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  cblackb 
#1 ·
Changed oil in the truck 2 weeks ago. noticed the drain pan was exceptionally full when it was all drained. :eek:mg:
Decided i best measure it and see how much there was. 19 quarts! :eek:mg: Oil doesn't smell like fuel (or in my case vegi oil) it smells just like any used motor oil.:givemebeer:
So, thinking back to the time before when i changed oil i remember i filled it and didn't check the dipstick to be sure i had the right amount in there. So i decided it is possible i over filled it by an even gallon last time i changed it. Hmm...surely i didn't do a bone headed thing like that but at this point i hope thats the reason i have extra fluid in the case.
So i go ahead with my oil change and i make sure i got 15 guarts in it this time. Dipstick reads right on the mark. I drive it about 800 miles and check it again. DAMIT, its a little high on the stick...maybe 1/4" up. So i take it into Ford and have my diesel guy do a dye test on the injectors and i am sure i have one or two leaking. First of all he tells me he drained 15.5 quarts of oil out before doing the test. So i am sure i have a slow leak (.5 quarts in 800 miles = slow leak).
He calls back and says its all back together and there was no sign of leaking injectors. :happydance:
So my truck just made an extra .5 quarts of oil this last 800 miles? And i put an extra gallon in the last time i changed it? :banghead:
So for the techs, my questions is, if an injector were leaking maybe just very slightly, is it possible the dye test might miss it?
Now to add to this complicated mess, when i checked the oil, the plastic handle came off the stick, :eek:mg: i slid it back on there but now i'm thinking if i didn't get the handle back on in the original position, the length of my dipstick may be different than it was thus, not accurate anymore.:dunno:

See less See more
#2 ·
:pYour truck is magic. Maybe if we figure out how it is magically producing oil, we can solve the world's problems.

#3 ·
:lol_1:

No kidding! :D

Seriously Clay -- it is crazy that you say it doesn't have any smell to it... hrmm -- have you had your oil tested???

#6 ·
you cant run a dye test on injectors. Dye is for external leaks only.
Umm, i aint sure what your talking about there...we are talking about external injector leakage and running dye through the fuel while having the valve covers removed to look for the dye leaking into the valve cover area with a black light.
Its a standard Ford diagnosis procedure and he did it before when i had leaking injectors.
Why am i telling you this, your a Ford tech?

#9 ·
weve never heard of it and how would you know where the leak is when the dye is everywhere under the valve cover from the oil being up there?
Your serious?
Theres a weephole in the injector and when the inner seal breaks down maybe from low fuel pressure or whatever caused it, the fuel will leak out that weep hole and into the valve cover area. No oil up there cause i think the first step is to pressure the die through the injectors for 10 minuts and then drain the oil and black light the oil. If you see dye, you can check each bank seperately by blocking off one side and then pressure the dye through the fuel bowl again for 10 minutes (motor not running), valve cover off, and then look at each injector with a blacklight and if its leaking externaly, you'll see it. Last time he showed me and you could definately see the dye comming from the injector.
I'll ask him what the tsb # is on this.
Don't mean to be telling you your business, :sorrysign:i thought all ford dealers used that test.

#11 · (Edited)
oh and i still never heard of it. Didnt you just get a set of injectors under warrenty not to long ago? Vegi must be tearing them up?:bdh:
Jon, have you been drinking? :sarcasticlol:
Go back and read the post again. My injectors showed to be all good. Vegi has nothing to do with it, i did have a low fuel pressure issue and was afraid i might have poped an injector due to that. But i had him put a new regulator on it and its good again.

#10 ·
clay in my opinion you have to have a fuel system leak, into the oil system to be adding oil,the dye in the fuel system would probably work , im wondering if the fact that your veggie oil may not smell like diesel fuel is why it doesnt have a smell to it , there is no other way for the oil to be increasing in quantity unless getting in thru the fuel system, as far as that test being standard ford procedure , i wouldnt say its standard but a legitimate way to find your problem yes

#15 ·
im thinkin you have an injector leakin into your motor oil some wheres and since your running veggi oil through your truck its just mixing with the motor oil and you cant tell the difrence... what I would do is put clean oil in it and run diesel through it for the next 500 or so miles and then send an oil sample off to see how much fuel is in your oil.

#16 ·
The only real way to find out what is causing this is to send your oil in and have it analyzed to see what else is in there. I'd say your fuel dye test was a false negative. Run a tank full of dyed fuel through it, then look at a sample of the oil under a black light.

#17 ·
Run a tank full of dyed fuel through it, then look at a sample of the oil under a black light.
Thats a good idea... i'll have to see if i can get some dye from my mechanic...enough for at least 20 gallons of fuel?
I don't know why the dye test didn't pick up a leak if in fact one of them is leaking...might be a very slight leak and ten minutes wasn't enough time? :confused:

#18 ·
That does sound like a good idea! If all else fails, you can then send your oil off for analyzing

#19 ·
Yeah I'd say at least 20 gallons, you want to make sure you've ran plenty of miles to get a good buildup if in fact that's what's going on. Heck you may want to run a couple tanks worth through it just to make sure, otherwise you may lose all sanity when it's too faint to show up under the light!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.