Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Power steering leak

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Fox Hunt 
#1 ·
Okay guys need some help... I'm loosing a good amount of power steering fluid that drips directly onto the frame rail. It appears to be coming from the small cylinder attached to the hydro boost. I have confirmed that because I actually saw it dripping from there. Checked and there not enough fluid to even hit the dip stick, so I have to add before I can get it in for repair. My question what is the cost on these leaks and is it something I can do myself. This is my first powerstroke and so far I'm not happy with it at all. It either leaks oil or other fluids or runs and starts rough. Had the ficm repaired last month. Any help is appreciated. It's a good truck when it's running right but what I'm spending in repairs I could make the payment on a brand new one.

06 F250 FX4 crew cab Lariat 112,000 miles

#2 ·
Sounds like the steering assist booster. While the seals and stuff can be changed I have found it easier and cheaper time wise to just change it out.

It is not a hard or complicated job to change out but will require considerable bleeding of air.

#3 ·
just had this happen to me last week, mine was leaking from the hydro boost, from what i understood from my dealer. It was the piece in front of the brake fluid reservoir, is that the same piece your talking about?

#5 ·
Well the tag said a couple bucks over $600 for the part and install. Tag said .3 hrs labor and it was about $50. I had it done under my extended warranty though (thanks toyota) so they may have charged more cause they can. There us a vendor on here that has oem ford parts a cheap prices. I'd hit them up.and do it myself. might only cost $400. Check if you can to make sure its not one of the hoses on there first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.