Luke warm heat until set to 85+
Since the temps have started coming down, I've had to use the heat more in my '05. I was driving down the interstate tonight and the truck's digital HVAC was set to 80* and it still felt cool to me... it wasn't until I set the truck to 90* that it felt normal-ish again and was hot. It didn't seem to matter whether I was moving or stationary, the temp never felt right when it was set below 85*.
Before anyone claims head gaskets, let me give some more info:
- First, my degas has never puked.
- I have the degas bottle "full" at the lower mark and I haven't had to add any coolant.
- My ECT at cruising speed tonight was 180* (where its always been; even right after changing thermostats in May 2011 when I switched to ELC and did coolant flush)
- No loss in power
- Great mileage (19+ mpg @65mph)
- No smoke or other anomalies
After I got home tonight, I popped the hood, checked the level and unscrewed the degas cap to see if it seemed like there was an excess of pressure - There didn't appear to be... I have a pressure test kit for the cooling system but honestly don't see if being HGs this go around.
The only thing that has changed recently is I did replace my FICM last Saturday. Obviously, to change a FICM you have to really move the degas bottle out of the way quite a bit. Could that have disconnected something without causing a leak? How about the blend door? Is there a way to check it w/o tearing into the dash?
Any help would be great - We're supposed to be leaving for a cross country trip on Saturday!