Changing coolant question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 04:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Changing coolant question

I'm wrapping up some work on my Ex (EGR delete & oil cooler) and getting ready for coolant. I've looked all over including local CAT dealer. All I can find is pre-mixed 50/50 EC-1. Is there any tricks to getting more water out of cooling system so I could just fill with pre-mixed or is it necessary to use concentrated to get a suitable mixture? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

as far as i know, International Harvester service centers have the 100% dose. - good stuff
Old 11-14-2012, 05:31 AM

I'll google that in my area. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Are you sure guy at Cat dealer knew what he was talking about?
I got mine at the Cat dealer it was straight concentrate, have a jug at home and can give you the # if you want it.

One note I did put in Cascade before I switched to the ELC to make sure it was clean and washed out. The coolant that Cat sells is much thicker than aftermarket ELC-1 not sure if thats good or bad, but there is a difference none the less.

Pull at least the driver side block plug out for draining
Old 11-14-2012, 12:27 PM

That's what he said. They had gallon jugs and 5 gallon buckets of 50/50 so I bought 2 buckets. They also had gallon jugs of concentrate but it wasn't EC-1. I was thinking about just removing the thermostat and pulling the upper radiator hose off and pouring it in until I see the water come out and change to coolant. And yes I'll drain the radiator and pull driver's side plug. Do you think that would be ok?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

I know its recomended to add straight then distilled, if you already bought 50/50 I would take the time to drop the starter and pull that block plug too.
I would also pull the hose off heater core shut off valve as well as where it is supplied from which is the 3/4 upper hose on the Y below coolant tank and blow it dry with compressed air. Then you will be empty and what you pour in will be all your fluid.

If you are switching from Gold to ELC-1 make sure to flush it well. When I switched I pulled thermostat and drained all fluids out refilled with DI water and added 1/2 cup of cascade and went for a twenty mile drive. Drained and flushed 3 times with DI water, last drain poured in 3-1/2 gallons of CAT-1 and arond 3-1/2 Distilled water. Still looks weird seeing Blood Red in the coolant tank, but all is well and feel it was a smart thing to do for the coolers.
Just drain it all out and use what you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.