04 Motor chugging with white smoke then black smoke? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 04:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 Motor chugging with white smoke then black smoke?

I have a 2004 6.0 wiht just over 70,000 miles. Tonight when I left work the motor had a real deep sound to it and not the usual loud rattle powerstorkes have. When I accelerated you could feal the motor chugging along, RPMs would take forever to raise, absolutly no power, and a buddy of mine was behind me and said he saw white smoke puffing out of the exhaust. We were both thinking either bad fuel, fuel filter needs to be changed, or I lost the turbo becuase there was no turbo whistle. I drove 5 miles down the road, stoped at a stop sign, when I took off it wasn't chugging anymore but still no power in it however the white smoke was gone and now it was blowing black smoke like I had a racing tune on it which I don't, by the way truck is all stock except acufab power elbo and 4" MBRP exhaust with no cat. For the next 10 miles it stayed the same lots of black smoke, low on power, and no turbo wine, so I'm starting to think that the turbos gone. Now I'm 5 miles from home and all of a sudden the truck starts running like normal, lots of a turbo wine, will squeal the tires from a dead stop, and all but a little black smoke is gone. Any ideas with whats wrong, I am due for a new fuel filter been just over 15,000 miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2007, 04:56 PM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

You may be on the right track with the turbo, but I would start by pulling codes. I'm not much help with 6.0's.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:14 PM
Bring On The Snow

Send a message via AIM to SuperDutyPSD6L
Same propblem with our 2004. It is probably along the lines of injectors, head gasket maybe. Is it just from a stop you have no power then about 1500-2000 rpm it seems normal?
Old 10-25-2007, 05:21 PM

When it first started it was really bad from a dead stop but once you got going it would get better but still really low on power then after about 10 miles it was low on power all the way threw from a dead stop to going down the road at 60 mph and thats when the blue smoke stoped and clouds of black smoke started coming out without having to get on the throttle to hard. But then about 5 miles from home it started to run alot better and sounded alot better and the black smoke was pretty much gone on 3/4 throttle and it hasn't put out any blue smoke since I left work.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:23 PM
Bring On The Snow

Send a message via AIM to SuperDutyPSD6L
i would just try the fuel filters just too see what happens but I am no expert. Its hard to tell cuz by what your saying it does not constantly do one thing.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:27 PM

I know its really wired cause it will do one thing then another and not consistantly one thing. Ill take her for a drive tomorrow to see what heppens and get the fuel filters changed and go from there. I just hope its not a turbo or injectors even thow I have been wanting bigger ones I just don't really want to put out that kind of money at the moment.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:38 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

definitly isnt head gaskets, sounds to me like your egr valve stuck wide open, best thing to do at this point is to get codes pulled and go from there
Old 10-26-2007, 06:14 PM

Alright same thing today, started fine, ran at idle fine, and drove normal for the first few miles, plenty of power all the way threw. Once I came to a stop sign and took off it was real sluggish with black smoke coming out of the exhaust up to about 1500 RPM. It only dose it when I take off from a stop or going threw town at low RPMs and give it a sudden burst of aceleration, not pedal to the metal or anything like that, but once I get into the higher RPMs it seems just fine. Oh yea I keep forgeting to mention the check engine light hasnt come on at all during all of this. I dont have a SCT or know anyone with one to pull a code myself, Im going to change the fuel filter and clean the egr this weekend and if that dosnt help ill take her to the dealer and have them look it over. Any other suggestions on what it could be?
Old 10-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

By the sound of all the black smoke it shouldn't be the fuel filter. A clogged fuel filter will give you those symptoms except for the black smoke. I would see if you have any play on the turbo shaft or check for signs of oil in the intake or exhaust piping going to the turbo, its normal to have some but its worth a look.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:34 PM

I did just change my air filter last sunday, Ill have to look into that. What exactly do you mean by play on the turbo shaft and what do I need to look for?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.