Coolant leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant leak

I recently left the hose off that leads from the degas bottle to the radiator off and leaked coolant all over the place. I cleaned off the spilled (sprayed) coolant as best i could. To add insult to injury, I overfilled it when I went to correct the problem.

I have noticed a faint coolant smell over the past two weeks since, I figured I didn't do a good enough job with my clean up. Last night I noticed a little puddle under the truck and investigated. I used a turkey baster to take my coolant level down to where it should be. I have a leak coming from the front of the engine on the driver side. My degas is clean, I felt and looked at the hoses under the degas and they are clean and dry. Looking up from the ground it seems like the leak is coming from around the area of the overflow hose (the larger one leading from the bottom of the degas with the plastic mesh shield on it), but it is dry and I can't see the source of the leak.

I'm hoping I was just bleeding off excess coolant.

Here are my questions:
Where would coolant bleed off if it was overfill? (the degas bottle was clean)
Where should I start looking if it wasn't simply due to overfill?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

First off: what coolant cap is on it? If its the one with the white label throw it as far as you can and go to a parts house and buy a new Stant or domestic cap.

Second coolant should be at the lower line if you have 2 lines on the tank. The level will climb from heat and especially if you take that truck up into the Sierra Mountains the altitude will push the fluid much higher in recovery tank.

Odds are you had too much coolant in it, wrong cap will too. The newer Ford caps have a much larger spring that doesn't go bad.

Did you fix your MAF ?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:33 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sometimes they'll only leak under pressure, run the truck up to temp, maybe a trip around the block and back to your driveway and then look for signs of a leak. When I installed my IPR coolant filter, I had a pin hole sized leak from the Y-fitting that goes under the degas bottle, a clamp wasn't quite tight enough. It would never do it just idling in the driveway, only under load.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Coolant leak

Mark - you friggin rock!

I think I have the better cap. It has yellow and orange warnings on it and was made 12/08 according to the stamp inside it. Think I should still replace it?

My degas only has one line, and it was way over full. Still, I didn't have any evidence of a leak at the cap. Would it bleed off somewhere else.

I checked everywhere I could see and touch without taking stuff apart, the hoses leading to and away from the "y" under the degas were clean and dry.

On another note - my MAF...I remembered that motivated up the ground wire on the rear bolt of the intake manifold while replacing my oil cooler. Going to check continuity in the harness for the MAF. Just been swamped and haven't made the time for it.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2012, 08:14 PM

The spring inside the cap should be the large sized one, you can see it inside the cap.
My guess would be you had it over filled and the cap is venting it out. You might be leaking at the recovery tank itself, but they usually only crack from engine overheating.

Like Fordtrucktexan said: heat it up and look all around tank and hoses for any leaking.

If it's dry keep the coolant level at or just below the line and see how it does.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

All better!

Looks like it was just overfill. It tricked me not seeing coolant on the degas. Thanks guys!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:13 PM

I think you have same cap as me, it's the one Ford made to replace the peice of crap they initially put on the trucks with a spring the same size as a Bic pen.

Good to hear, they will push it out for sure if you have too much in there. I am surprised at how far up it goes when I go up to the mountains. Funny thing is I loosen up the cap and let off pressure and down it goes back to the line. Need that air in recovery tank for expansion just that simple. Take it easy Sean........nice lookin truck btw
Old 11-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks! It is a nice looking truck, I keep forgetting....it seems like I've been chasing one thing after another since I got it and I haven't taken a minute to enjoy it. Was getting a little discouraged after oil leaks, oil cooler, EGR cooler, FICM problems etc. Glad for guys like you that help me sort it all out. I got some AR9100 (like rev-x) coming to address what I think is a stiction problem. If that solves it I should be good for a while.

BTW, went to check resistance on my MAF connector (thanks to the wiring diagram you gave me) and my Mulitmeter isn't accurate enough to tell me if I have resistance or not! Looks like I get to buy a new toy...
Old 11-13-2012, 07:15 PM

Yea new toys are always a good thing. I have the same weakness, if you can swing a fluke it's a lifetime tool 177 or 179 are great voltmeters.
As far as oil goes, are you running a 5W/40 synthetic ?

By the looks of your signature you pretty much have everything covered. How does the bb work for you, do you have a way to check what the fuel pressure is at? When I changed my regulator spring out to the blue spring I was surprised at how smooth it ran afterwards.
I need to do the CCV reroute, how much cleaner is your egr since that. Or did you always have it.
What is a: Zoodad Mod ? lol
Is it a King Ranch ?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the recommendation on the meter, I'll check those out.

For oil, I'm running Schaeffer 5/40 full synthetic. I'm not sure of any history on my truck (bought it from a dealer), but I didn't notice any change after my oil change.

I did the bb when I had everything apart for the cooler, and I also put my fuel pressure sender on at the same time. I didn't have fuel pressure beforehand, but now I'm at a pretty consistent 68psi. Didn't notice any difference in how it ran afterwards, i think my pressure was probably OK before. I was afraid I may have bumped up the psi too high, but I got some reassurance on here that I'm still OK.

I did the CCV reroute soon after getting the truck, but before looking at the EGR. I've only had the EGR out once (when I did the oil cooler) so I don't have a before and after. I did find that a pesky little oil leak that shows up as a drop hanging from my bell housing slowed down afterward though. Maybe coincidence, who knows. I got my canister and filter off the shelf at Tractor Supply, it's an inline filter for a spray rig.

The Zoodad Mod involves cutting holes in the fiberglass behind the grill to let air flow directly into the air filter. Not sure if that was a good idea, but guys on here recommended it, so I gave it a shot. Didn't really notice any change afterwards either. Some guys said it woke up their turbo and they could really hear it singing afterwards. I figured that cooler air was better.

My truck is a Lariat, Not sure what cool stuff the King Ranch has, but I sure like the seating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.