On again off again starting problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
On again off again starting problems

Hey guys, 2006 f350 here with occasional problems. Starting cold the crank time has been getting up into the 5 second range, hot starting has always been instant.

A few days ago I drove it 30 miles or so, shut it down with the turbo timer, came back out 20 minutes later and it started up instantly, drove another 10 miles, shut it down with timer, came out an hour later and no start, cranked like crazy and after a 20 second crank it fired.

Same thing last night, except it didn't fire at all, looking at a tow home I dug through my tool box and found a fresh quart of rotella t 15/40 so figured WTH, the oil level was full but I added the fresh quart out of desperation. Truck fired within 5 seconds after adding the quart.

The idiot gauge shows zero oil pressure the entire time the motor cranks, be it a short or longgggg crank till start. As soon as the gauge shows pressure the trucks starts instantly. Blows no smoke while cranking, oem filter and cap, dipstick says full, oil changed by ford before I bought it a few months and 2500 miles ago. Runs like a dream.... Any ideas? I know the hpop snap on fitting causes a lot of these issues, but the low pressure seems to be the issue, as soon as it shows pressure the hpop fires within a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
Maybe the oil pressure pump is failing OR maybe the dealer put the wrong oil in the engine (who knows) If you added a fresh quart of rotella and it fires up right away MAYBE YOU HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE WEIGHT OF THE OIL (again, is a guess) it will not hurt to purge the old oil and replace with good 15w-40. Check if the oil filter is fl-2016 or isn't clogged. Keep us informed.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply, I am thinking along the same lines. Going to get new filter and oil this afternoon and change it, at least I can knock that off the list of possible culprits if it happens again. I checked out prices online....Man, wasn't expecting $75 for Dino oil....ouch!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:43 AM

Another guess is your HPOP is going out. theres a couple videos out there of when your HPOP is bad, long cranks on a warm motor is a symptom.

Last edited by rvincent; 11-12-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's a possibility, but the truck starts when hot, doesn't start when warm. Too bad my roof didn't land on the truck when sandy blew it off two weeks ago.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dumb question....when the hpop is the cause of the no start or long start problem, would there be base oil pressure?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Yes you would have base oil pressure. There are 2 oil systems on your truck the low pressure oil system that pumps oil from the pan via a gerotor pump mounted on the crank. The low pressure pump provides the engine lubrication and fills the HPOP resivoir in the valley in a sump inside the block, the HPOP gets its oil from there and provides the high pressure oil that works the injectors.

From your symptoms I would suspect your low pressure system is weak or has a leak.
I judge this from the fact that it seems to take a while to fill up but then when full it builds pressure right away and then runs fine.

Read the sticky on the 6.0 problems forum here, it lists most of the causes, tests to run and the varieous soloutions members have found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.