another long crank issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
another long crank issue: starts on the 2nd or 3rd attempt, only after sitting 1 day

I've been reading and searching again and have not found anything to help out with my latest issue. It seems that recently, starting my truck up after it's been sitting for say 2 days, it will not start on the first crank. I turn the key, and it will crank for 5-8 seconds and not start, go a second time, and maybe a third before it will start. No visible smoke, FICM voltage steady at 48-49.5 (recent Ficmrepair.com fixed), and batteries are new. Seems to start fine after that first time. The lowest I've seen the FICM logic voltage is 10.5 right at/after startup for a few seconds, then it starts rising to over 12

No codes, no check engine light. I have a scangaugeII and ICP shows over 800 right around start-up.

It's a 2003, btw. Any ideas where to start? I've read maybe glow plugs, but I do not have any codes.

Thanks

Last edited by 67rstbkt; 11-08-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 08:27 AM

I'm going to see how it starts when I get home tonight and report back. I'll check the voltage at the batteries before I turn it over as well. Any other suggestions?

I'll also be keeping an eye on ICP on my scangauge, I'm just not sure if it reports while cranking, does anyone know? I also have a fuel pressure gauge, but have not had time to install it yet. I checked pressure right after I did the blue spring a few weeks back (at idle, mechanical gauge) and I was sitting at just a touch under 70

Everytime I get this truck squared away something else seems to pop up.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:46 AM

Sounds a little like a hp oil leak since your fuel psi sounds ok.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonds View Post
Sounds a little like a hp oil leak since your fuel psi sounds ok.
I've been thinking about that possibility, but wouldn't a hp oil leak cause hard starting when hot? The truck starts up fine after the one long start, multple cranks after sitting for some time. Also, my scangauge is showing within range when it's runnning. Shouldn't I see it there?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:35 AM

You need like 500 psi to start the truck, thats why when its been sitting over night its allowed the pressure to drop.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You need like 500 psi to start the truck, thats why when its been sitting over night its allowed the pressure to drop.
I'm going to try and see if I can get something out of the scangauge while cranking. I did replace an injector probably a month ago, I have the old style setup (no dummy plugs). I did not remove the fitting when I did the work, just moved it out of the way. Could this fitting get messed up by doing that? Any checks I can do?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:41 PM

Its possible, I do know there is a ball bearing on the side of the hpo pump on the 03's that was a problem. You may have to pressurize the oil system and check for leaks.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Its possible, I do know there is a ball bearing on the side of the hpo pump on the 03's that was a problem. You may have to pressurize the oil system and check for leaks.
I read about that too, I'm hoping it's not the hpop right now. I don't mind wrenching, but I was hoping I had some more life left in the HPOP. I'm not sure of the procedure to check the system, I know on the newer style you go through the ICP on the valve cover. Mine does not have that, the ICP is somewhere behind/under the turbo. Any links to the process for an 03?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 03:47 PM

Ok, here's my update on this for today. The last time the truck was running was yesterday, so about 20-21 hours ago. The temps are a little lower today here at 40-45

Before I started the truck I checked battery voltage with my meter at each battery: they are both at about 12.5 volts

I checked the oil, it's full. I should also mention that I'm using Rotella T6 (changed a few weeks back)

Inside, turned the key on, waited for the glow plug light to go out and the truck started right up.

After less than 1 second of cranking, my scanguage went from 0 icp to about 1000 and then to around 800 (and down to 640 at low idle after warmed up).

I also kept an eye on the low pressure gauge on my dash and that went up very quickly as well.

I guess I will have to wait until the next time it sits for 2-3 days and see again. So any other ideas? Could this still be an HPOP or HP system issue?

Thanks again
Old 11-26-2012, 06:51 AM

Another update:

I've been keeping a real close eye on icp while cranking and have not been able to duplicate the issue since my initial post on it. I have let it sit for 3 days without starting and it started on the first crank. The only change I've made is to wait 3-5 seconds after the glow plug light on the dash goes out. ICP usually goes up to around 1000 (on a cold start) in the first second of cranking. Maybe I was being paronoid? I'll keep a close watch on it to see what happens. I don't have any glow plug codes, but after 112,000 miles, maybe they are getting close to needing to be replaced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.