yellowish-brown, slimy crap in degas bottle. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yellowish-brown, slimy crap in degas bottle.

Hi all. New to the world of Diesels. Just bought an 04 F350 with an 05 6.0L in it. I've noticed my coolant leaking from my upper rad hose (i think) and plan to fix this weekend. I have some yellowish-brown, slimy gunk in my degas bottle and was wondering what it was from and if its a problem in the making?

Also, what type of coolant should i use. What ever is in there now is Red in color. I need to top it off tonight but not sure what type of coolant to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
A photo of your problem will help us.

The coolant recommended by ford is gold coolant part number VC-7-B BUT some people here are using coolant with CAT EC-1 spec. with good results.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like you oil cooler is busted, was it overfilling? It should be just below the min mark. Red coolant could be elc. Elc with the cat ec-1 rating is suggested.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Ruiz. I'll get pictures of it tomorrow for you guys. I read on here that the "new" proper level for the degas bottle is about an inch below the mark on the side of the bottle. When warm that's exactly where it's at.

Southend... I don't THINK my oil cooler is bad but I'm really not sure. When i can see the coolant, it looks clean. No visual evidence of oil in the fluid. Just "slimy" stuff on the sides of the bottle. Kind of up high near the mating surfaces between the bottle and lid.

I'll post the pics tomorrow afternoon for you guys. Thanks again for the help. I'm really enjoying this site.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by funn3wds View Post
Thanks Ruiz. I'll get pictures of it tomorrow for you guys. I read on here that the "new" proper level for the degas bottle is about an inch below the mark on the side of the bottle. When warm that's exactly where it's at.

Southend... I don't THINK my oil cooler is bad but I'm really not sure. When i can see the coolant, it looks clean. No visual evidence of oil in the fluid. Just "slimy" stuff on the sides of the bottle. Kind of up high near the mating surfaces between the bottle and lid.

I'll post the pics tomorrow afternoon for you guys. Thanks again for the help. I'm really enjoying this site.
this site is the best.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:01 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

It may even be slime left over from Ford Gold coolant, it would have a goldish yellow color to it but I would think color would be hard to determine with the CAT EC1 coolant in there now.
Rule out oil in your cooling system and then do a good coolant flush on your truck. Myself I have used cascade dishwasher liquid soap to get a clean cooling sytem instead of the acid procedure when I changed from Ford Gold to a CAT EC-1 type which is surely what's in you truck now. Good Luck with it............
Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
It may even be slime left over from Ford Gold coolant, it would have a goldish yellow color to it but I would think color would be hard to determine with the CAT EC1 coolant in there now.
Rule out oil in your cooling system and then do a good coolant flush on your truck. Myself I have used cascade dishwasher liquid soap to get a clean cooling sytem instead of the acid procedure when I changed from Ford Gold to a CAT EC-1 type which is surely what's in you truck now. Good Luck with it............
True^^^^^

Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok ladies and gentlemen,
Here are some pictures of what I'm seeing. I have a question about the third picture though. Is that the original cap or the updated degas bottle cap? How would i know?

Thanks again guys.
Attached Thumbnails
yellowish-brown, slimy crap in degas bottle.-degas-bottle.jpg   yellowish-brown, slimy crap in degas bottle.-degas-bottle1.jpg   yellowish-brown, slimy crap in degas bottle.-degasbottlecap.jpg  
Old 11-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

Well darn, you could have opened the cap and gave us a pic. An original cap will have a oem pn printed on it, iirc.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh. Ok. Give me a few minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, degas bottle, slimy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.