03 6.0 driveability and no start issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0 driveability and no start issue

Ok I have searched this forum for days and have gotten some answers but not enough to figure out mine. I'll Start at the beginning, bought truck in March after driving a few days noticed temp rising while sitting with the babies in the ac while my wife was in the store, checked water and could not touch with my finger it was full when I did the once over at the dealer, figure that huh, strted checking internet and finding out problems, i bought a 1 piece egr delete kit by sinister diesel I think even though we never saw any white smoke and replaced the coolant tank thinking it was leaking and 3 radiatior caps, mechanic said they were bad the original plus the one I bought now it has the one he bought on it, still not buying that though. It builds a good bit of pressure in the tank. Next I was pulling my boat still losing about a gallon of water a day, I finally put in some hd stop leak that slowed the water consumption, I know that was bad but 3 grand on head gaskets is not in my budget, the motor started leaking oil real bad at the rear. I got to the sensor I found from under the truck and took it to ford 170.00 later I put it back in and the leak was gone, I also noticed that in the morning when cold it would take 3 tries to crank up until I replaced it and found out that it was the ICP sensor, so that has been replaced. I was out of town and my 18 wheeler blew #5 piston so my wife had to come get me from Al to NC she left the house and the Bat light came on, she went to the parts house and had to replace the altenator. She drove abot 25 miles and got on the Interstate and that's when the rest of th problems started, she slowed down for a rest area and the truck Died going down the off ramp.She let it cool and it ran for hours till she got off another ramp and the same thing 5 more times on the way to get me. when she got to NC I replaced the fuel filters, no luck, we drove home and every time we got to an intersection we had to hot brake it or it would die.Now it's been sitting 2 weeks and the dealer said maybe HPOP so I changed the oil with a little heavier weight oil and some Lucas thinking thicker oil wouldn't thin out and keep the oil pressure up. I drove to town and it died pulling into the store waited an hour and drove home to die in the yard. I changed the oil again today because when I cranked it up I had no throttle until it started to warm up, I used 5w30 in it this time and did a motor flush first and ran it abouit 15 mins. After I got the oil changed again I cranked it up and it ran about 3 mins and died. now it won't start up at all no matter how long it sits, I ordered a IPR valve earlier today but now am wondering if I will waste my money when it gets here tues or if the dealer is right about needing the HPOP, no one has Diagnosed it on a computer and Ford wants $238.00 just to hook up and I cant even get it out of the yard I know it is a long post but I figured you needed the whole story, I have only put 4000 miles on it since I bought it and that includes the trip to NC to come get me any advice would be appreciated.Btw I found awater drip coming from the crank pulley so now I'm thinking waterpump on the mysterious loss of water, but that's after I get it back running right.

Last edited by jcarter8968; 11-04-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need a monitor......Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

The scanguageII is the best option for the money.
Make sure you have motorcraft filters and matching caps. You may have bad batteries, bad ficm, hpop leak, incorrect oil, filter, caps, bad ipr, icp pigtail, blown headgaskets, bad thermostat, obviously a bad water pump, coolant level too high in the degass bottle, or combustion gasses in the fuel rails.

See why a monitor is important.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea i see i need that scan guage, I was supposed to go trade it off on a 13 f-150 but now I can't even get it there and gonna spend a fortune just to get rid of the dam thing. Do you think the Ipr may be bad I can tear it down since I alredy ordered it but I didn't have to pay for it yet. If it's bad will it cause the rough idle and no start issues?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 AM
Premium Member

It can cause a no start, but that is just a wag, at this point. You have several issues. This can be figured out, but the cheapest route is to start with a monitor.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The ICP and IPR work in conjunction with each other. The ICP is a pressure sensor which tells the pcm what oil pressure is available. The IPR is a regulator that actually controls the output pressure of the HPOP. If either malfunctions you can get a no start/hard start or no run condition.

The PCM has to see a min. of 500 psi to allow the ficm to fire the injectors by the same token the IPR has to deliver that much pressure plus to make the engine run.

The pressure range of the HPOP system is 500psi to 3000 psi at WOT.

As Southend says this can be just one of the potential problems to cause a no start.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok here is a new update, I let the truck sit all night and it fired up a few mins ago, here's the thing yesterday it would not rev past 2500, this morning even while cold it would rev up to around 4000 but as it started warming up it will not go past 2500, i killed it and it took a little longer to fire up twice in a row so I shut it down and left it alone knowing it will at least start today and am searching for a scanner, I looked on line an that scan guageII looked like some kind of monitor while you drive system, is that the one you were talking about or is there a different one I don't want to buy the wrong one if I can't find anyone here with the right scanner.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Premium Member

Yes the scanguage II, is a monitor like that, but it can give you readings while trying to crank and read codes. I believe auto zone carries them too. You should also load test your batteries, and perform the ficm test procedure, best done with a monitor. At this point, it sound familiar to hpop leak/problems. Need a monitor for that. You should have motorcraft filters and matching caps, with a good quality oil. Alot of us run rotella t6. You also have symtoms of combustion gas entering the fuel rail, you can pull the upper fuel filter, hfcm fuse, and ficm relay. Then crank the truck and see if bubbles/combustion gas is in the filter housing.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

yea I only run motorcraft filters the other guys stuff ain't even close to what's supposed to be in the fuel system or oil system, what symptom is making you think combustion gas is entering the fuel rail ? , the truck ran fine til I changed the leaking ICP sensor even when it was dumping a **** load of oil under the truck, I won't have to worry about rust forever lol. But after changing that and the Bat light coming on, changing the altenator we've had nothing but problems, could the new ICP not be working right also? even with the water pump losing water it never gave me a problem. The bats are new and load test fine that's why we replaced the alt cause we checked both and that was the weak link. If I can get by with a new IPR thats cheaper and getting it back running and not have to buy a HPOP to get rid of the truck would be great as they aren't going to give me any more trade in with a new HPOP and I sure as hell don't want to pay that much just to trade it off on a new truck.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

didn't read

need more enter key
Old 11-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter8968 View Post
yea I only run motorcraft filters the other guys stuff ain't even close to what's supposed to be in the fuel system or oil system, what symptom is making you think combustion gas is entering the fuel rail ? , the truck ran fine til I changed the leaking ICP sensor even when it was dumping a **** load of oil under the truck, I won't have to worry about rust forever lol. But after changing that and the Bat light coming on, changing the altenator we've had nothing but problems, could the new ICP not be working right also? even with the water pump losing water it never gave me a problem. The bats are new and load test fine that's why we replaced the alt cause we checked both and that was the weak link. If I can get by with a new IPR thats cheaper and getting it back running and not have to buy a HPOP to get rid of the truck would be great as they aren't going to give me any more trade in with a new HPOP and I sure as hell don't want to pay that much just to trade it off on a new truck.
What did you "flush" the oil system with? If you still have "flush" in the hpop system, you may have quite a difficult time getting all that out of the system, not to mention the lucas product. Oil is more important than fuel in these trucks.......for arguments sake. Ipr, may fix it, it's just a guess. Running for a short period and dying, with no restart, is a symptom of combustion gasses in the fuel rail, it's free to check that. The icp pigtail could also be bad. I've given you all the reasons I can think of for your problems, its based on symtoms and facts. As for the battery light, it is not unheard of to get an alternator off the shelf that is bad. Put your batteries on a charger overnight and go from there. Without a monitor you will eventually just buy a part that fixes it, maybe. I will let others chime in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.