FICM? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM?

Hi guys.. I am suddenly having problems starting my 06 F-350 6.0 on cold days.

I have recently watched a very informative vid on youtube how to check your FICM. I will do this myself, but have not yet done so.

If it is the FICM... Where could I buy one and how would I have it Flashed? Do I just give them the Vin# ? I live in North end of Toronto Ont. Is there someone other than Ford that maybe sells an aftermarket one for less. Can I buy a used one from the wreckers and have it flashed?

Sure seems simple enough to replace. I heard of shops charging as much as $1600 to do this

On another note.. Right around the same time that the starting problems happened, I now have a hesitation at 100klm and/or half throttle. Is this a result of the FICM or is this something else.

Thanks

Last edited by Vettster; 11-03-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
It's not hard to replace. I recommend doing a one and done with the BulletProofDiesel FICM. It is a little pricey but well worth it as you will never have to replace it again. Also you retain the bottom half of the shell (logic side) of your original FICM and add the new BPD power supply top half shell.

While your at it you need to get a monitor on that truck ASAP!! Let me know if I can help you out with that.

Bryan @ Stealth Automotive
Old 11-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if u buy a used FICM it may have the same issue but if u go that route and just use the top or any that uses the top shell (power supply ) you don't need a re flash because you retain your programming
Old 11-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the reply.

Im dont want to spend to much on the FICM, as I will most likely be selling the truck in the spring. Ive owned it for 3 years and the first to years I LOVED it.. but now with all the troubles its giving me.. I just spent 1500 on the 4x4 last week and now this!

Im going to take it into the shop soon for a diagnostic. Im guessing by you last sentence that there is more to it that meets the eye.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2012, 11:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

u can save some coin by testing it yourself ,, if it's bad send it to Ed@ficm repair.com ,, or re solder it yourself
Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Good to know ZMANN.. So I could get one at the Wreckers from a truck that has been totaled and just install the top half. Sounds like the power supply is the real problem here.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

You can throw the whole ficm in. There are different flashes for them depending on how old truck is or last time ford flashed it.
I burned one up in my truck where one of the resistors fried and it quit. Purchaced 8 new 0.0075 foil resistors for .49 cents each and soldered in the replacement part easy enough. I doubled them up for the hell of it and it's cruising away at 48 volts all the time. Also reflowed solder on all the places they recommend when you work on them.

One thing about a older flash you can wind up with the buzz flash that cycles injectors for 20 seconds after you shut off truck and it might make you crazy listening to it buzz away after your walking away from the truck. lol
I think thats a 05 or older flash,I have 3 ficms and one has the buzz flash took that one out because of it and it has lower hp for whatever reason. Repaired my old one truck came with and it's much better on throttle response, has something to do with pcm flash working with ficm flash. So it would probably be in your best interest to keep your logic board, was in my case.

Last edited by mhatlen; 11-03-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks mhatlen. Could you direct me to the thread on how to repair them. I wouldnt have a clue where to start looking. I could easily resolder things that are obvious.. but Im not into electronics and wouldnt know where to start.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettster View Post
Thanks mhatlen. Could you direct me to the thread on how to repair them. I wouldnt have a clue where to start looking. I could easily resolder things that are obvious.. but Im not into electronics and wouldnt know where to start.
If you try to repair it yourself, you wil be charged more for a repair when it fails again. We see failed repair attemps all the time here. They work at first then fail again, regularly. Just saying.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks Southend. But after finding the thread on how to repair the ficm.. I think this right up my ally. I have all the tools and skills needed(not so much on the electronic side) to do this kind of repair or I wouldnt be building and flying these

top speed?....225mph and this is why i need a truck lol
Attached Thumbnails
FICM?-picture-553.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.