put in head gaskets now turbo sounds funny - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
put in head gaskets now turbo sounds funny

well finally finished my ARP studs, and egr delete, put everything back together and started right up. only thing is a small exaust leak and my turbo makes a buzzing sound when vgt valve closes for boost. I did go to T6 5-40 motor oil but that's the only thing changed as far as the turbo is concerned. Could that be affecting my vgt valve and closing the vaines to far? turbo was working great when i started the project.

Thanks

Ben
post #2 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exhaust leak, misaligned exhaust pipe. Common.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

Unfortunately had to Sell my ......2004 KR CC SWB FX4 - Edge insight cts, blue spring upgrade, updated HFCM drain plug, XDP coolant filter, CAT EC-1 rated coolant, Custom Diesel EGR delete, CAT delete, Rotella T6

SEE MY OIL COOLER REPLACEMENT AND EGR DELETE - http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...tml?highlight=
post #3 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

so you think exhaust leak would make turbo make a light grinding sound? i hope that is it!! was thinking of loostening the exhaust back up and giving it a shake and re-tightning. It was a battle getting y pipe hooked up to turbo and i don't think it is alligned right. Any suggestions on best way to get y pipe alligned? thanks
post #4 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by master1973 View Post
so you think exhaust leak would make turbo make a light grinding sound? i hope that is it!! was thinking of loostening the exhaust back up and giving it a shake and re-tightning. It was a battle getting y pipe hooked up to turbo and i don't think it is alligned right. Any suggestions on best way to get y pipe alligned? thanks
I'm suggesting your exhaust system is making noise from misalignment. Not that your turbo is grinding. Loosen all the turbo mounting bolts and remove the clamp. The clamp will not align the pipe. Make sure the pipe is aligned, then tighten the clamp, once the clamp is tight, tighten the turbo mounting bolts.

Unfortunately had to Sell my ......2004 KR CC SWB FX4 - Edge insight cts, blue spring upgrade, updated HFCM drain plug, XDP coolant filter, CAT EC-1 rated coolant, Custom Diesel EGR delete, CAT delete, Rotella T6

SEE MY OIL COOLER REPLACEMENT AND EGR DELETE - http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/gen...tml?highlight=
post #5 of 7 Old 11-02-2012, 05:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just went throught this after doing head gaskets as well. The only way I could finnally get the leaks to stop was to loosen all the bolts on the exhaust from the y pipes to the turbo clamps to the exhaust itself. Start at the turbo clamps, when ervything is just sloppy bangin around start with the turbo. Tighten that up then to the next. Drove me nuts gettin this done but "TINA" sure did sing once it was right...

BPD OIL COOLER W/COLD WEATHER PACK & BPD oil bypass amsiol filter
BPD WATER PUMP, RADIATOR+ EGR.ARP STUDS
,edge turbo timer
5" TB DIAMOND EYE EXH
ATLAS 40
TITLE IN HAND...
post #6 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanks

Finally got it sealed up, what a difference truck runs better then ever!!!

2003 F-250 superduty. BDP egr delete, Edge Juice with attitude, BPD air to oil cooler, ARP studs, Blue spring, Banks 4 inch cat back, custom remote tranny cooler, BPD 58 volt FICM, NEW full engine wire harness, reman motorcraft injectors, and 440AH battery bank in back to feed 2000 watt sine wave inverter. Also custom heat sinks and fans to cool FICM. and still going!!😜
post #7 of 7 Old 11-06-2012, 04:48 PM

Great! Thanks for the update.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode