6.0l rough idle, diesel in exhaust, white smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0l rough idle, diesel in exhaust, white smoke

This is probably going to turn into a novel, but ya'll need the entire gist of things to make an accurate call. The truck is a ford f250 6.0l daily driver with the occasional give it hell. This all started after installing cylinder heads(remans from odessa cylinder heads), new oil cooler, stand pipes, and dummy plugs. Mods are in signature and no check engine light or codes are being thrown.

I recently put new heads on my 6.0l because there was diesel in my coolant. It only happened while it had ran for some time and was seen in the degas tank. It was determined to be the injector cups, but instead of changing cups out I went ahead and put new (remanufactured) heads on it just to be sure. Naturally I put new head gaskets on it along with every other gasket, plus a new oil cooler just to get it out of the way. After reassembly it was smoking and had a rough idle, but I thought nothing of it since it was the frst time starting up and it had air and possibly a little water in the cylinders. But after 15 mins or so it didn't stop and had only worsened. It smelt of diesel instead of a sweet smell of coolant so fuel is my next thought and usually it's a bad FICM, broken nozzle, or injector going out that will cause excess fuel to be dumped into cylinder. So I check injectors and their fine then I move on to the FICM, where I end up replacing it and the problem still continues. Next (after reading and searching many websites with no help), I go and check injector tips/nozzles again and their fine so I replace the two "bad" injectors(#6, #8) problem solved, NOT! Still smokes horribly and with the exhaust manifold lose while running, diesel is dripping out of it and when you take it off you can see diesel residue in the exhaust ports. So my next thought, well one of my first thoughts but was ruled out, is the copper crush washer. By this time I have my reman injectors, from NewJerseyItem, so I pull the injectors again and replace all o-rings and install injectors. The problem still continues. All in all the injectors have been taken out 4 or more times and new o-rings were used every time. Then I noticed it, while taking the o-rings off I didn't give it much thought, but the white o-rings on the leaking cylinders didn't appear used at all. They were still round and most of the white coating was intact versus the other injectors that their lower o-ring was oval and could tell it had been sealing off. So you think their not lining up or seating, but 4 out of 4 times? I just cant see that happening and the ridge on the copper washer is smashed as though its seating against the cup properly. Is it bad cups or is there anyway the cups were improperly put in the first time? Thats my last guess I just can't think anymore I'm so frustrated with it.

Does anyone have any ideas or know the problem perhaps? If it matters when diesel first started showing up in my coolant, I was draining it and put green coolant in it not even thinking about it. But that's just so you know everything, I don't see it being related and was corrected not long after. It may be something simple and I'm overlooking I don't know and I'm open to anyones recommendations. I'm to the point where I just wanna drag it in the field and lite it on fire. So ya'll are my last hope before taking it to a shop and spending who knows how much. Any questions please ask. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How were the injectors "checked"?
You have a bad injector (s), or a cracked head. It may be worth your time to pull the injectors and send them to warren for a rebuild. Only other thing you can do is pull the glow plugs and see which hole is full of fuel.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My thought is a bad injector as well and when I say checked I mean taking it out an making sure the tip of the nozzle is intact bc of the excess fuel and checking for soot and signs of the injector sealing off. But as stated in my thread I've already purchased injectors and nothing changed when replaced thats why I believe it to be something else. And I just purchased the heads so I'm trying to think of a much simpler fix. Also I can see the fuel coming out of #6 and #8 by taking exhaust manifold loose. So I guess I can do a compression test on those cylinders through the glow plug hole and hope that reveals something. If you have another idea please tell, Thanks.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:57 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
. obviously you are over fueling some where. I had a similar issue with mine because i did not torque down the torx bit on the injector hold down. If it were me i would pull all the injectors have them checked or replaced. Did you evacuate all the fuel out of the cycl's?
Mine run ruff for about 15 min. after the injector reinstall, i took her down the road and she was good to go. good luck
Old 11-01-2012, 06:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You are definately correct on the over fueling. The injectors are tight i checked and checked and always give a few pounds extra too make sure. Maybe I need to just buy all NEW injectors I don't know. But maybe your right, maybe I just need to drive it and it will straighten out. I will definatly try it. And I'll make sure to check that the cylinders are evacuated of all fuel. Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Premium Member

Ok, I misunderstood, sorry about that. Pull your ficm relay, hfcm fuse, and fuel filter cap. Crank the truck and make sure you dont have bubbles coming up in the housing. Is there a chance, you dont have the correct injector hold downs?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I'll give it a try and I'm using the factory hold downs so It should be okay but I'll check them against the new injectors I put back in the motor. I'll post results of the test you recommended. Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I pulled the fuses and relays and didnt see any bubbles in the filter bowl. So I'm assuming that rules out the injectors sealing off? But whats next head problems?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:44 AM
Premium Member

I'm no expert, but looks like head. Others will chime in. maybe compession test is the next route.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I still have a month of warranty on the cylinder heads so I can always fight with them over head replacement if no other solution can be decided upon or discovered.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.