'04 6.0 loss of acceration 3 year old problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'04 6.0 loss of acceleration 3 year old problem

About 3 years ago, I started to pull away from a stop sign. At about 15 mph, the engine lost acceleration. The engine did not stall, the RPM's just dropped to idle and the truck coasted for about 8 to 10 seconds. During this 8 to 10 seconds, the gas pedal was not resposive. Then, it returned to normal. No check engine light, no codes. It started doing it more and more often but with no pattern. Maybe 2 times in a week and then run fine for 2 or 3 months. Engine hot or cold, winter or summer, mostly under 20 mph but it did do it once at 60 mph. It was suggested to check the EGR. I did and cleaned it. Still no help. Replaced the fuel filters and air filter. Problem continued. Gave up and took it to the dealer Where they replaced the EGR and I think the MAP sensor. Ran fine for about 3 months. Did it again. A few months later the battery light started going on and off. The truck is an '04 but was built in '03. Engine is an '03. The truck only has 44,400 miles on it. I realized that the belt was slipping due to its age. It was suggested by the dealer the crankshaft postition sensor may be off due to the low battery. Replaced the belt. No help. Replaced the fuel pump. NO HELP!! Last week I started to leave work. Truck chugged and then died. I got a check engine light!! The truck started right up. Instead of checking it myself, I drove it to the dealer a mile away. ICP sensor. I replaced it. STILL, NO HELP. I checked the voltage on the ficm both koeo & koeo. 47.5 volts. Inspected th wire loom and found nothing. The truck is getting hard to start both hot and cold but runs great other than that. What am I missing???

Last edited by timewarp1934; 10-30-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: miss spelled title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2012, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Icp pigtail, throttle pedal. Are you monitoring icp when this happens?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
possible cam sensor or harness issue. Those seem to be the ones that won't throw codes or lead you in any direction. Are you anywhere that rust is an issue?
Old 10-31-2012, 08:10 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
Icp pigtail, throttle pedal. Are you monitoring icp when this happens?

^^^Get some guages in there and watch the ipr/icp/ficm/egr values for starters.
Could be the ipr early ones were more problematic. Watch those vitals something will give you clue to the problem. like the 44K, at least it's still under warranty?lol
Old 11-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did replace the pigtail with the ICP sensor. I thought about installing gauges until I found out the cost. The economy has killed our family business. We've been loosing $ for the last 3 years. No rust, no rubbing on the wires that I can see. I remember a friend who had a truck that was about 6 months older than mine who also has the adjustable pedals. There was a problem with a leak from the pedal adjuster. I'm going to look at the system this weekend.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

I hear ya. Scanguage is around $160.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
those egr valves are junk. i would not be surprised if the egr valve is stuck, an egr valve doesn't allways throw a code. you can try unpluging the egr valve and see if it cranks better. i would have your altenator checked and your batteries load tested.
most likely since your battery was weak you might have taken out your ficm.
What are you using to check for codes? Most programmers will give you live data. Saying all that i think it is your ficm at fault. Gauges are a must with these rigs
Old 11-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did remove the alternator. It tested fine. They cracked it open and said it looked as if there was a low battery condition. I believe this was due to the belt slipping. Batteries are almost new and have been changed once since the first problem and there is a new belt now. The dealer said he may want to re-program the cam shaft sensor in case the batteries ever did get low. $220!! I have a good code reader but driving around with it pluged in for what could be months may be an issue. I'll guess I'll try that for now. I'll be checking the gas pedal this weekend. Scanguage?? Tell me more
Old 11-02-2012, 08:58 AM
Premium Member

Here........Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:05 AM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
Reprogram camshaft sensor? Sounds like they are going to replace the camshaft sensor. If you are using a diesel programmer to read codes you should get some kind of code. I would think if your cam sensor is bad it would throw a code. That is just me. My rig did something identical to yours.
I have a 04 6.0 my truck was hard to start at first. Then my alternator went out completely, so i replaced my batteries while i was at it. Then about a month later it would stall out in a low rpm, spontaneously. I took it to ford dealer and they had to put a data logger on it and it ended up being my Ficm. Mine would not throw a code either. I'm not saying it is your Ficm but if you take it to the dealer they can put a data logger on your rig. Cheaper than just throwing parts at it. Hopefully that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.