Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

High EOT, My thoughts on the problem

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  bismic 
#1 ·
Driving on the freeway for an hour or so and twice now have had the wrench light come one and gone into limp mode. Shut truck off let sit a minute and light goes off. My EOT is 220-230, abnormally high. Started somewhat recently, always used to be within 10-15 of ECT. ECT's are standard 185-195 ish range. Same temps it has always run. Boost levels seem to be exactly where they have always been and truck makes fine power.

Also have noticed that the degas container seems to constantly need refilled.

My thoughts are plugged oil cooler. Failing EGR cooler.

I figure I need to stop driving it and asap flush cooolant system and replace both coolers.

I am not getting any steam or white smoke out of the truck so don't think I have done terrible damage yet. Truck has not been driven too much with the high oil temps.

I don't particularly need to hear horror stories cuz I've already read them and have no option but to keep the truck for now and fix whats broken. Plus when it is running good I quite like it! Just wanted to see if people agree with my diagnosis.

06 F-350, 100k, I have had for 25 k and don't know the service history. Stock motor. Had to have bedplate seal done about 2k miles ago.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I won't give you any b/s you better deal with it sooner than later you may have just a egr cooler leaking at this point but that alone will take out the head gaskets.
Is it tuned? they are hard on head gaskets.

Do a bubble test with the coolant recovery tank to figure out if its the egr cooler or the head gaskets, u-tube has some clips I think sinister does a how to as well.
Good Luck with it, I too have a 06 that has been very good to me stock tune and keeping it that way. Coolant maintenance was surely the problem here.

#3 ·
Just had my head gaskets replaced as well as another oil cooler. My EOT was doing the same thing minus the light and limp mode. I was also having to add water and could smell coolant after shutdown. I changed my oil cooler and did the EGR delete last Oct. Also did the flush at that time. Added a coolant filter and on the 2nd change, I cut it open and it was nasty as hell. At that time I figured I had clogged the cooler again.

Last month the wife was pulling a horse trailer and the coolant went to 230. At that time I decided to either trade it in or fix it. After I looked at trade in value and the cost of new, I decided to fix it.

While it was apart, I went and looked ta it and could see where the coolant had been seeping around the cylinders.

I have the old cooler, I just have to cut it open.

#4 ·
motor is all stock but guess the stock coolant is terrible enough on it's own. Checked under the egr valve and it is 100% dry. I was hoping it would be wet so I could at least feel like it was just the egr cooler and not likely the heads. Seems now like it is likely the oil cooler as well as heads. And wouldn't get that deep and not replace the EGR cooler. May be time to get rid of the truck as this is the third time it has left me with a decent bill. Bummer because I love the tuck but if it leaves me stranded in the desert or mountains on a trip I will be screwed.

#5 ·
After letting the truck set all night read the ect and eot temps when you turn on the key. Both should read near ambient air temp.
I am suspecting a bad eot temp sensor out of range. I have never seen an oil cooler fail from a oil side problem useually the coolant side gets restricted coolant flow this can cause the egr cooler to fail and you get poor heat exchange in the oil cooler but you will allways show high coolant temps as well as a high eot.

The coolant temps you are showing are normal so this just doesn't jive for me.

#11 ·
No, you will not always see high ECT temps with a clogged cooler. My EOT temps was in the 210-230 range and my ECT was anywhere from 190-215, sometimes higher depending on what strain the eng is under.

#7 ·
The egr cooler wont leak where you can see it. It will leak in the heat exchanger part of it and blow coolant into the intake manifold where it is burned and exists the exhaust pipe.

One thing you can do is park truck nose down overnight and in the morning take out egr valve and look down into manifold for water, if egr cooler is blown it ends up there.

A pressure guage on coolant tank will give you a idea about head gaskets.
When was the last time you serviced the cooling system?

The cooling system goes through the oil cooler first then to the egr cooler, if the oil cooler plugs up it restricts the coolant to the egr cooler it overheats and it bursts. Which if it is blowing enough coolant into combustion chamber the expansion from the steam can blow out the head gaskets.
Hopefully you are only looking at a egr cooler, look up on utube how to determine head gaskets or egr cooler. Basically you cap off coolant tank and run a hose from it into a bottle full of water and at idle you watch the amount of bubbles then unplug vgt at turbo which will relax the turbo vanes and lower backpressure. If head gaskets are bad turbo position won't matter,if the bubbles speed up with turbo plugged in egr is leaking.
Watch it to get the details exactly how it will behave and how to interpet.

#9 ·
You want to look after it sits overnight

#10 ·
EGR valves will dry out. The best time to look for wetness is right after a good hot run. Some EGR coolers only leak hot. Most will smoke white when they get bad enough.

Any clean spots on the valve is a good sign the cooler is leaking too. A valve won't clean itself. Head gaskets won't cause coolant consumption or an external leak. Excessive cooling system pressure with a dry EGR valve and no white smoke would lean towards headgaskets.

#14 ·
I've got to disagree with you on this one @bismic. It is completely normal to have deltas like that if you have a clogged oil cooler. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Unfortunately, there are probably a lot of folks running around in 6.0's with similar deltas and they don't even know they have a potential issue.

Reactions: bismic
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.