2500 miles on build and now this!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2500 miles on build and now this!!

I have had 2500 trouble free after my build. The truck has been running great. I always check the oil coolant etc, because I'm paranoid and yesterday I found this. It looks like oil in the coolant. Oil looks fine, oil cooler was replaced during the build. Deltas are still good (3-5 degree difference). The only other thing I have noticed is my CCV mod hose is smoking more. It looks more like condensation or steam and it smells bad. The coolant has looked perfect until yesterday. I search alot of threads and they point to oil cooler failure, but it's so new. Headgaskets??? I'm getting worried, I don't want to tear her apart again. She was apart for 2 1/2 months.

2500 miles on build and now this!!-degas.jpg

2500 miles on build and now this!!-oil-cap.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2012, 04:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Did you recently use your heater maybe it came out of the heater core, residue from the prior cleaning. If you suspect the heads test for combustion gas in the coolant. No combustion gas=no head problems.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:38 AM
Premium Member

I have been using the heater lately, but my coolant flush was done 2 months prior to tearing the motor down and I made sure I flushed out the heater core good. I might go to Napa tonight and buy the kit for testing for exhaust gases in coolant. Just a bummer because I took my time and did everything right during the build.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Premium Member

UPDATE: Been super busy past couple of weeks. Truck has been sitting for a week. I checked the degas bottle today and there is about 1/4" of oil floating on top of the coolant. Drove the truck for about 15 minutes and got it up to tempature and then used the kit from NAPA. First time after 2 minutes it turned from blue to a very dark green, but then I realized it was touching the oil. Siphoned a little coolant out and test again. After 2 minutes it was still as blue as when I started so I'm hoping it's not headgaskets. I've read either oil cooler or possibly the front cover. When I switched to the Bulletproof water pump, I stripped out one of the bolts. I had to dril it and tap it bigger. I hope I didn't thin the metal to much tha it would start leaking. What would be the best route to begin with. Not looking forward to tearing it back down. Also something I noticed is my CCV hose is smoking really good once the truck is warmed up. I do get a little out of the oil fill cap. It started around the same time. Not sure if they are related at all.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

If you can get to the one bolt that you tapped, take it out and see what you get. Oil, coolant or nothing. You may have to run the engine with the bolt out. No luck with that, your new cooler might need to be revisited.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

How often are these oil coolers going bad after just being replaced? I know it isn't clogged because my delta's are less then 5 degrees. I'm beginning to kick myself for not going with the Bulletproof kit. I figured with a good flushing, Cat coolant and routine maintence that stock was good enough. I just checked my odometer. Less then 3000 miles since everything was changed. Between an oil cooler or the front cover, I'm actually praying it's just the oil cooler again.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Premium Member

I am wondering if you have an o-ring or seal damaged in the cap; maybe even a crack in the cap? There have been a few reports of bad replacement units, but it seem unlikely.

I hear you, the oil cooler is easy to get to.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Is the ccv venting properly? Is the filter your using breathing properly?
May have nothing to do with it just strange how your seeing a change there too.
You build enough crankcase pressure and the oil can go places it shouldn't.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
Is the ccv venting properly? Is the filter your using breathing properly?
May have nothing to do with it just strange how your seeing a change there too.
You build enough crankcase pressure and the oil can go places it shouldn't.
I checked once already and it seems to be clear. No kinks and it goes down with no low spots. Funny thing is, when I got the truck back together I was amazed how little pressure actually came out of the hose. A little puffing, but no smoke, or bad smells that I've seen others complain about. Now it smokes all the time and seems wet. Not with oil, but water like condensation. I have never seen a drop of oil out of it. It does also smell bad now. I don't even want to drive it anymore because I don't know what's going on and I am so busy with work now and now it getting cold and winter will be here soon, taking it apart now is going to be hard. I am going to check the ccv hose again today just to rule it out.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:59 PM
Premium Member

NEW UPDATE: Ok, so I check the ccv and there is a little low spot near the end, so I pull it out and pull it down so there is no low spot. A little water came out from what I thought would be from condensation. About a teaspoon. Just for the heck of it, I touch it with my finger and taste it and it tastes like antifreeze??? But it wasn't red, it was clear. So now I go under the truck and crack the oil plug and nothing but oil comes out. Truck has been sitting since Friday so I know the antifreeze would be at the bottom. What the hell is going on with my truck. I don't get it. I don't know what to do next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.