Just need some advise - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Just need some advise

Hello everyone.. I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2005 f250 with a 6.0 engine. It has 152k on it. I purchased it from a bank(it was a repo). I had heard all of the horror stories from friends about the 6.0 problems. So I called to enquire about the truck. I was told that the truck was repo'd from a guy that had taken it to the shop and could not afford to pay to have the work done so he just left it at the dealer... When the credit union got it back they had to have the heads redone, egr cooler and oil cooler put on it.. $4000 cost according to them. Well i was thinking "yea they replaced the expensive stuff now i wont have to worry about it" Needless to say I purchased the truck.. 2nd day after owning it... went to wal-mart and boom it wouldnt start towed to the shop and it was a oil o-ring...ok thats not so bad...stuff happens right? Well that had me nervous everytime I hit the switch that it would not start....but it held in there. I drove it out of town and back no problems..Just when I let my guard down...Boom! Driving down the interstate it dies on me. Injector! I've had this truck for a month now... 2 weeks in the shop and 2 weeks with me.. What I need is honest opinions about the 6.0. Am I having bad luck? Is it a piece of #@$#? I really like the truck but Im just afraid that its always going to be something.. Should I Sell or work my way thru it? Or has all of the really serious things happened to it and now I need to just maintain it?
Thanks in advance

P.S. My wife is giving me the "I told you so" look
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

I just bought a '04 SD with 140000 on it. Had it about a month with no problems (knocking on wood). Maybe you just had a few gremlins and they are gone now!
Best of luck to you!

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide App
Old 10-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Serving Our Country!

The 6.0 can be a great motor. However, when you buy a used truck you just never know what you are really getting. Sure, the work was done, but was it done right? You don't really know, even if it was done at the dealer. My recommendation would be to read up on the common problems with the 6.0 and from there keep your eye out for those potential problems. It sounds to me that so far you are just having some bad luck.

I'm not quite sure why a leaking o-ring would prevent it from starting, but ok. What was the issue they found as to why it died on you driving down the highway?
Old 10-28-2012, 03:29 PM
Emergency Services

^ lol at Tuscany.....streak of bad mojo I would say
Old 10-28-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
What did she say??? Lol that was my wife lmao.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The o-ring had somthing to do with the oil pressure to the injectors..Heck I dont know
Im gonna keep the truck parked in the "bright light" Gremlins hate bright light!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:33 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The oring failure is common for no start on the 05-06. Read up on the stickies, and get you a monitor soon. It always depends on how the truck was taken care of.......read this to start.
Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if another injector goes out you may wanna check your batteries. id say thats just some bad luck you got though... i hope it all clears up for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.