Dang... Jixned myself. Now smoking at idle!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 02:58 PM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dang... Jixned myself. Now smoking at idle!!

Ok... I jinxed myself. I just wrote a thread up saying how great my truck is running and asked other`s input on my new maintenance plan. Well, yesterday on my my way home from a job in Palm Beach, I noticed the truck was smoking more than normal. Anyways.. drove to Jupiter to see my Mom via I95 (about 30 min drive from Lake Worth where I live) and stopped to get beer at ABC, man my truck was smoking a crapload while idling in the parking lot!! The smoke doesn't appear to smell of coolant or fuel. It seems to be bluish, which means oil. I think it is the oil seal in the turbo. My deltas are great, I have no codes, truck runs as it always has with the Looney. I fired it up this morning it smoked very little, also the turbo whistle wasn't a prominent from my straight pipe, however, ran some errands and took it back on some side streets where I could open it up. Here is what I noticed. At Idle, VGT is 65% and at WOT from idle VGT is 15% and I get 20-23 pounds of boost (a little erratic) I let off before EGTs are too high and let her cool down. I don't dog the truck, and it sits alot and does a lot of city driving now, except on weekends, since I take the train to work now. Anyways after that I went to Home Depot and it smoked bad in the parking lot. My fuel economy is also the same, pretty dang good for what it is. My oil does not smell of fuel nor is the level any higher and looks great. The only thing that I have changed recently is that I did my CCV mod and standpipes and plugs. I regret not doing injector orings, I have a kit, at least I would have seen if I had a cracked injector tip, but due to time and family issues I had no time. I don't think that's the case. I don't think the VGT numbers matter, because I think the system is just doing it's job, just wanted to post as much info as I could, because I think it's turbo related. Sorry for such a long post.. I am still learning about this truck but love it. Thank you to anybody for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I would have to say that you ccv reroute caused one of two things either your turbo seal blew because the ccv isn't venting the crankcase fumes with a vacuum and it's letting it build up and blew the seal or the rings aren't sealing properly which is one reason for the ccv to be set into the turbo inlet to allow it to pull a vacuum allowing the rings to seat properly. Try putting your ccv back to the original way and see of that fixes it.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 PM
...swamp trash...

Thank you for the reply Tuscany. I was thinking about this this morning. All I did when I did when I did my CCV mod was the plug the intake. Cut and splice the hose going to it with heater hose, turn it around and route it down along the rail to a homemade catch can which has one of those cheesy pepboys crankcase vent attached to it. My thoughts are maybe the hose pinched or the filter plugged. I may have run through some puddles, it was wet last week due to Sandy. I already threw away the piece that shoots up in the intake . I'm going to fabricate something and put it back. Kinda explains why I don't see smoke on the hwy. Cause the vacuum is created at high speed from the air moving under the truck. That is when the mod is doing its job and scavaging gases. Not in city stop and go traffic. Now I have seen others mount their filter were I did and haven't heard of any problems. Does the 6.0 really make that much excess crankcase pressure? Does it really require that much vacuum other than for emissions purposes? Sorry.. more questions, still learning about this truck.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:15 PM
...swamp trash...

Ok... I think I may have found my problem. I could be wrong, but there is a definite improvement. When I got home from work, went and put some fuel in the tank. While at the station popped the hood and looked at the hose for kinks, didn't find any. Well, looked at my catch can filter and the thing is saturated with oil but none in the can. Pulled it off and blew through it and it was plugged. Well, left it off and drove around town and it doesn't appear to smoke. I am not 100% sure if that solved this, but it appeared to help. My turbo seal may be blown, I am not sure until I look at it. Until I get some daylight driving I can really confirm this.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm with tuscany if your ccv is not venting that presssure is going to find somewhere to go, make take a few miles to burn off all of the oil.
I think everything will survive it.

I think you will be braggin again soon enough

Last edited by mhatlen; 10-29-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:26 PM
...swamp trash...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
I'm with tuscany if your ccv is not venting that presssure is going to find somewhere to go, make take a few miles to burn off all of the oil.
I think everything will survive it.

I think you will be braggin again soon enough
Lol thanks man.. like I said I removed that little filter and I could just tell after the little driving I did that, I wasn't smoking everyone out like I was on Sat. I revved it up at idle and saw a little smoke but like you said it will eventually burn out. I think i will put some kind of screen, non filter related, just to keep critters like mud dobbers out of my catch can. I think I will just leave that cheesy little chrome crankcase filter thing I got from Advance Auto to the ricers!!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When you have the engine running open the oil fill cap and make sure your not blowing air out of crankcase, a low spot in the hose can be enough to create a check (blockage)from filling with oil and raise crankcase pressure.

I have been looking at doing one on my truck but I want to only use 1" sch 40 grey pipe and slope it down frame rail and back up again to intake boot where not to have any problems with it.
In Calif I had to smog frigin truck this year, and it's not gonna stop so I have to make it a legal reroute.

Take off cap to check for pressure and if it's flowing now go for a 20 mile drive it will be gone by then, make sure you run it up on rpms to burn it off.
Have seen guys post they had problems with 3/4 hose if it's a long run, check it close for low sagging hose, it can cause trouble!
Best Luck & Lesson learned, lol
let us know how you do..........

Last edited by mhatlen; 10-29-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:17 AM
...swamp trash...

Thanks mhatlen. I pulled the oil cap and observed the fumes coming out when I first fired her up this morn. Nothing too excessive but it was dark (my neighbors love it when I fire it up in the morn, LOL!) It hasn't smoked since I popped that little filter off last night. I'm realizing what a restriction I caused by what I used to make my filter/catch can assembly. I gutted and old inline air tool oiler to make it. Needless to say it has a barb on one end with 3/4 inlet and the other side has a 1/2 fitting with a 3/8 barb on it to accept the filter. I'm going to take the filter fitting out tonight and take it for a little run on the highway and see what happens and report back. Thanks for the help!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
...swamp trash...

Ok, here's my update! It's fixed as of so far, I have yet to really check the seal on the turbo, but it doesn't smoke anymore. Like I said, it got better immediately after pulling the little filter off my ccv catch canister. I drove it on the interstate this afternoon. About a thirty min drive and it performed as it should and when I got into town it didn't smoke. I did remove the little half inch fitting with the 3/8 barb on it, which was dripping with oil, I wonder if that reduction of fittings caused a venturi effect and really enhanced the scavenging on the highway? Aw well.. who cares, sometimes things should be left alone. Thank you Tuscany and Mhatlen!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Glad to hear it worked. Your welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.