No heat at idle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 05:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No heat at idle?

If the truck idles there is no heat. Rev it up a little and the heat comes back? What would cause this? Water pump?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If this was my truck the first thing I would do is change the thermostat. Possible stuck open or only doing the partiall open thing. Then if no change I'd start looking at the water pump. Just put in the BPD water pump. Shame you cant see it...not to difficult
Old 10-28-2012, 05:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Water pump is shot

The blades are worn down enough that it does not have enough force to push coolant all the way to the heater core. Eventually thus will deteriorate enough you will develop over heating problems

Beamed in from the Death Star with lasers and sh*t

Last edited by Colin7.3; 10-28-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

I just did a coolant swap from Gold to ELC1 and pulled my thermostat and drained out system and refilled with distilled water and a cup of dishwashing liquid soap. took for a 30 minute drive and drained and flushed with distilled water. Repeated 3 times and installed new thermostat along with ELC-1 coolant.
A bonus was heater is hotter and now my temps are a steady 194 +or- a degree or two.

I would try this or thermostat alone first and see how it does, just dont put tap water in it the minerals will raise hell with cooling system...........
Old 10-28-2012, 06:42 AM
Premium Member

Check for vacuum leaks, or might be the vacuum pump.

How is your coolant level? Done any work on the truck lately?

Oh, turn it to "air", does that only blow out the defrost?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When your checking the coolant level check for any evidence of coolant around the recovery bottle cap, wetness, white deposits. If there is you have a bad head gasket and its filling up the block heater with gases since that's a high point and once you are up in RPMs the water pump has enough force to push those gases out of the heater core and then give you good heat inside. You can also verify this with the coolant test strips for exhaust gasses from your local parts store. Sorry in advance for the bad news.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
When your checking the coolant level check for any evidence of coolant around the recovery bottle cap, wetness, white deposits. If there is you have a bad head gasket and its filling up the block heater with gases since that's a high point and once you are up in RPMs the water pump has enough force to push those gases out of the heater core and then give you good heat inside. You can also verify this with the coolant test strips for exhaust gasses from your local parts store. Sorry in advance for the bad news.
Ouch, he didn't mention any coolant issues and same thought went through my mind but unless there is a consumption issue I would be thinkin radiator and thermostat.

Thats a BIG pill to swallow if your right. lol
Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
When you've exhausted all other options take a look at the headgaskets. Like stated before they will put air pockets in the cooling system and get trapped in the heater core. Headgaskets won't cause coolant consumption, it may or may not pressurized the degas bottle to the point of blowing coolant either.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Premium Member

Yes, it depends on how bad the head-gasket has let loose. Most guys envision a bad head-gasket looking like Old Faithful blasting out their degas bottle when it can be just just a trickle of exhaust gases bubbling into the cooling system and venting out the cap with little or no trace.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

First of all to rule out the thermostat since they usually fail wide open. If your not able to get up to normal operating temperature doing normal in town driving then your thermostat is bad. You can't go by the dash water temperature gauge which is basically useless. Get a real gauge or borrow something like a AE. It could be a bad water pump but personally I've not seen many that bad to cause this without also causing overheating when the motor is worked hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.