KOEO INJECTOR TEST - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
KOEO INJECTOR TEST

2005 6.0, Hard to start cold, runs rough until warm then smoothes out, has a code for cylinder four contribution, ran power balance when cold and cylinder four missing until warm then clears up, pretty sure it needs injector. My question is right when i started it up I ran a KOEO self test and all 8 injectors throw codes for circuit low, ficm never drops below 48v, i let the truck run for a while and re-test, and it passes test, does it sound like batteries, maybe from cranking then immediately running the test, the batteries just aren't up to par. Any thoughts anyone. appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Load test your batteries. Are you able to monitor ficm while driving? Sounds like ficm failure. Maybe the logic side. Bad batteries kill ficms.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Logic power is at 12.5v, I am able to test while driving I have ids. Previously when diagnosing a ficm it would have the low circuit codes stored then monitor the ficm and sure enough it would be well below 48v, this one the only stored code was cylinder 4 contribution, I need to load test the batteries, I let some one borrow my load tester and haven't got it back sore subject ha. When I first fire it up I'm only getting 12v then rev it up and it jumps and stay a little over 13v. It's a customer that uses a fleet management company and I have to get all sorts of approval can't just throw parts it which I wouldn't do anyways there just very anal, but need to start with basics, which is testing batteries. I'm mobile repair business so I'm not with the truck but I'm heading up there tomorrow I appreciate the input

Sent from my HTC One X using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

First thing is test the battery voltage:

before starting
during cranking
after it starts
2 minutes after glow plugs shut off and alternator come on.

Also check ficm in the same manner to that point.
Then keep eye on ficm voltages at idle and 2000 rpm hot and cold!!!
Then after hot check ficm starting

And of coarse you can try revx to see if that smoothes out your cold running issues.

A bad ficm is almost always the reason to have all injectors throw a code, but batteries can be low enough to throw that dtc.

Last edited by mhatlen; 10-23-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok that explains why it takes a minute before the voltage jumps up, the glow plugs. I I will check voltages as you suggested and see what I come up with. When I first hooked up the laptop it only had the one cylinder 4 contribution code it wasn't until I ran the KOEO injector electrical test I got the 8 injector low circuit codes then after running for a bit I shut it off and re tested and it passed. Why don't you just come down and fix it I'm in the modesto area, I see you are from elk Grove ha. I see you run cat coolant is that better then the Ford gold for the 6.0. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:37 AM

The Ford Gold has had much of the blame for oil cooler issues on these engines, Gold has a silicate addative that is known for seperating and hardens on the coolers. It is the where there is exessive heat it seperates and more or less clumps together plugging up the passages in the coolers.
Internationals VT-365 does not have the oil cooler issues the Ford engines do, International has always used CAT EC-1 coolant. International has been in a lawsuit with Ford for years claiming the Ford Gold is the reason for the issue.

There are a lot of people who have changed out coolant to a EC-1 type. I have done enough research on it to decide to change.

You can always hook up your volt guage and watch the voltage drop while cranking, that will give you a good idea whats left of the batteries, should be in the 11v range if good 10.5 or below is bad.

You bring it to my house I will help you with it, Modesto is around 1-1/2 hours I'm guessing, been a while since I have been down there. Worked on a job in Tulare for 2 years and drove through it just remember it being before Fresno and that was 2-1/2 hours away.lol That was 25 years ago........
Old 10-24-2012, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok that makes sense I know you gotta be careful with coolant I am aware of the egr and oil cooler issues, we stock the EC-1 and actually get a lot better price on it. I'm headed up now to get a little more into it, and was i just giving you a hard time about coming down ill get it figured out ha hopefully , but ya its about hour and a half at most I go to elk Grove ktm quite often ha. I appreciate your help
Old 10-24-2012, 02:15 PM

If you are going to change out coolant I would clean out cooling system first. What I did was drained coolant completely then pulled out thermostat filled with distilled water and put in around 4-6 oz of Cascade liquid dishwasher soap. Took the truck fo a 30 minute drive to get up temps only went up to 165 degrees then drained evrything out again. I had a 55 gallon drum of DI water and used a pump with 5/8 hose to flush out heater core and both sides of the block and radiator. Pulled block drain plugs for better draining.
Repeated the flushing out of soap 3 times last time I poured in 3-1/4 gallons of CAT EC1 coolant after installing new thermostat and new coolant filter.
Looks a bit strange with blood red coolant but it's a good thing.

Just caught the KTM thing, I prefer the Honda place,lol Only because I have 4 of them quads though, it's a family thing.
I am guessing you are talking dirt bike KTM is good stuff...........

Last edited by mhatlen; 10-24-2012 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
The injector self test should always be a pass. Did the injectors all click one at a time for three cycles? I assume you're using an IDS or no?

I'd be leaning towards a FICM at this point. It's possible you need an injector too but a ficm can cause individual cylinders to fall.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mhatlen
Oh ok, thats the same way i flush it when ive gotten diesel in the coolant. and i pm'd you for that packet, thank you i appreciate it

sinner6.0l
yes im using an ids, yes they all click in cycle three times, ill explain to you again the problem and try to be more clear, im not very good at explaining things especially typing so bare with me ha, but i originally i just went up to do a PM and front brakes, its new customer so i dont know much about the trucks past, and i dont think the driver lets anybody know when he is having problems, guess he figures its not his so screw it, so i went to start it up and warm it up to perform a PM, that's when i noticed it was hard to start and ran rough, pretty much seems to be a typical symptoms of a bad injector, so i hooked up my laptop and the only code was #4 cylinder contribution, so i ran a power balance test and #4 was missing, after that i shut it off and ran the KOEO injector test, well it didnt pass got low circuit for all 8 injectors. So i then i monitored all the ficm parameters, all looked good, so i let run a bit, shut it off,ran the KOEO injector test once more and it passed, just confused on why it didnt pass the first time, i cant see just replacing a ficm cause of that one KOEO test that failed, and all ficm parameters look normal, but first things first i still gotta go up and load test batteries and cover all my bases first, had an emergency road call today that screwed up my day and didnt make it back up to the truck today. i just wanna get as much info before i go back up there, when i load test the batteries they might be junk and that might be all it is, but i knew i could get some good advice from you guys ive been a lurker for awhile and learned a lot,i have done quite a bit of work on 6.0s and this forum has definitely aided me through some of those jobs. and i appreciate your help and response sinner6.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.