replacing headgaskets; found problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 01:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
replacing headgaskets; found problem

so in the process of headgasket job, i found that all of my exhauust guides needed replaced. truck has 139xxx miles and guy at the machine shop said he hasnt seem em that bad in a while. any idea what would cause this? maybe overheating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Could be a heat related issue, but more likely a lubrication issue. Not keeping clean lubrication will devastate valve guides, and the way these heads are layed out there is a small amount of deflection with the single rocker set up to both valves and if lubrication breaks down it will be much harder on the guides.
Odds are the valves need replacing as well, and if you don't replace them the extra clearance between valve stem and guide will speed up wearing out new guides!

If you are going to keep the truck for a long time I strongly recommend replacing all the exhaust valves, and quite possibly intakes too. May be a better choice to go with a set of rebuilt cylinder heads IMO.

If you had any questionable engine values like hpop pressures you may want to replace while your in there because there is a good possibility those components may have wear issues. At least have them looked at closely to make sure your not in it again any time soon.
Is there any sign of sludge from motor oil?
Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 AM

no sludge, and oil is changed religously every 5000 miles.
the one thing i can think of is that when the hg blew i was loaded pulling a hill. i looked down and temps were good, then the next thing i know coolant temps in the red. so that may be it
Old 10-24-2012, 09:07 AM

If you know the service history on it from being new and it was good then heat is the next explanation, some of the wear is due to the design and the valves on a 6.0 are tiny in comparison to the 7.3 and long heavy hauls make lots of heat and can take it's toll on them. How do the intakes look, if they are in good condition then you may very well be right.
I was a machinest for 7 years and I mainly worked with the cylinder head work. Lubrication was the most common killer and usually the sludge would give away what condition the heads were before I even tore them down.
Extreme heat will tear up the valve stems and guides pretty quickly. I am assuming that the shop will magnaflux the heads and check for straightness. Myself it were my engine I would go through all the o-rings in the top end and replace them all, do the standpipes dummy plugs one peice stc oil cooler/ BP egr cooler ect to make sure you won't have to go back in again.

Last edited by mhatlen; 10-24-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
great advice.

You just can't skimp out on these engines because it will bite you in the *** in the future. They are very expensive to fix and maintain properly but once they are running good and strong they are monsters.

I will take my bulletproof 6.0 over a cummins any day

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 AM

I want some of those International emblems mazsecond
Old 10-24-2012, 10:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatlen View Post
I want some of those International emblems mazsecond
PM Replied
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 AM

Dad bought it new, i bought it from him 2 years ago. i know its been serviced good. intakes looked fine, magnaflux showed no cracks or anything. had standpipes/plugs STC right before i got it. got a o-ring kit fixing to install before shes put back together.
BTW, i'd like to have those emblems also haha
Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcloud413 View Post
so in the process of headgasket job, i found that all of my exhauust guides needed replaced. truck has 139xxx miles and guy at the machine shop said he hasnt seem em that bad in a while. any idea what would cause this? maybe overheating?
I have an 06 with 115,XXX and I am lightly burning oil on warm up. I have beat the crap out of it on the dyno and I assume that extreme EGTs have contributed to, if not caused, my problem. I am fully expecting the guides to be trash when I tear into it.

Are you monitoring EGTs?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargar View Post
I have an 06 with 115,XXX and I am lightly burning oil on warm up. I have beat the crap out of it on the dyno and I assume that extreme EGTs have contributed to, if not caused, my problem. I am fully expecting the guides to be trash when I tear into it.

Are you monitoring EGTs?

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
yes i am, as well as EOT and ECT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.