Cold start and running problems - Solution for me at least! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cold start and running problems - Solution for me at least!

Ok - Here's my findings:
I have an '07 f350 fwd, purchased with 85,000 miles. Ran fine when test drove it but had a rough run issue when cold - not terrible but definitely noticeable - would smooth out as soon as the engine began to warm and would seem to run fine from then on.

Did some searching and it sounded like injector stiction so i ordered a bottle of HotShot Secret -- Hot Shot's Secret | Diesel Engine Oil Additive
Changed the oil and used Chevron DELO 15w40 and added the hotshot.
The rough running instantly got worse. Hotshots paperwork said this may happen and give it about 1,000 miles to work itself out.
I gave it 3,500 and no real change, rough running when cold and mileage took a dump also. Never had any smoking issues - black or white.

I also bought their Diesel Extreme fuel additive and used it -- no real difference noticed.

I also bought their Friction Reducer. Added this after about 3,000 miles and it made a noticeable difference but did not solve the problem either.

I pulled the EGR valve and cleaned it. it wasn't very dirty / sooty but it made an instant difference in starting. Truck started much quicker. ( it never took too long to start but it seemed like it should start faster than it was). It is possible it was sticking open and now is working correctly?

I then read about using a different viscosity oil and/or using REV-X. After adding the Friction reducer and getting some improvement, I assumed it was due to "thinning" the DELO 15w40 somewhat?

I changed both fuel filters and added the "blue spring" fuel pressure upgrade and still made no difference - so I assumed it was not a fueling issue.

I completely flushed the coolant - 6 times, using ford's coolant flush and their gold coolant. Coolant did not look too bad, no evidence of head gasket problems or "puking" and the oil temp and engine coolant temp are within 10 degrees of each other - So assumed it was not an oil cooler problem.

I'm convinced it is not an injector issue so I go to plan B....
I order two bottles of REV-X .. a total of 8oz. The HotShot bottle is 2 quarts!! Plus I added a quart of their friction reducer! I'm thinking that REV-X is an awfully small amount to treat 15 qts. of oil.

This time I use Shell's T-6 Rotella synthetic oil 5w40. I should have used this first and run the truck for a while -- and then included the REV-X to see if it worked without it but I went ahead and added it with the oil change.
WELL GLORY BE!!
She started instantly and ran perfect as soon as she started!!

I find it hard to believe that the REV-X would work that quickly and I attribute 90%+ of this success to using the right oil! After hearing all the testimonies about HOTShot's, I'm sure if there were a stiction issue to begin with, it has solved it - for me anyway. I'm sure the REV-X will do what it says but I should have waited to add it to give a fair assessment.
This made for a couple of expensive oil changes but still cheaper than an injector replacement.

FYI - I also added a Sinister Diesel coolant filter kit and an Amsoil bypass filter kit. Planning on keeping the truck for a while so trying to do whatever preventive maintenance I can.
If anyone has any questions about installing them - let me know.

J.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 05:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
I'm glad you fixed your problem.
And for the hot shot's secret shot stuff I'm not too convinced (I saw their ad in their website), I don't know about you but when I see a guy reading from a teleprompter it gives me the feeling that he's not convinced or completely honest that his product really works. (when someone is convinced of something the person speaks from the deep of their heart, no need of scripted junk).

LOL! I'm think I'm getting tired of all the hype in the internet.

Last edited by ruizhernandeztrust; 10-22-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know what you mean about hype.
I read alot of forums on the same problem and kind of figured I would try the "easy" fixes first.
I saw that my local Ford dealer actually carries the Hotshot -- For $90!! So other than making $40 on it, I assume they think it might work.
I'm not advocating either them or REV-X, but HotShot seems to have significantly helped in my case...Along with the oil change.
What makes me wonder is if Ford specs 15w40, why did it make my truck run so crappy at 85,000 miles?
I assume there had to be some stiction going on with my injectors. Hopefully this will be a "permanent fix". Until it happens again of course! LOL!
Old 10-23-2012, 04:26 AM
...swamp trash...

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
, the best thing you can do! Besides getting a moniter. Just did the same to mine, satisfied with the same results. You don't have to keep running the Rev X. Oil changes get a little expensive. Just keep keep running T6. What kind of bypass kit did you get, considering one too.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks - I understand the REV-X or Hot shot are both "use as you need them" additives.
Or use a smaller amount as a preventive measure - so future oil changes will be less $$.

I installed an Amsoil oil filter by-pass kit and a Sinister diesel coolant filter kit.
I got the Amsoil oil filter housing cap and oil fill cap - which were a bit spendy but make for a very easy install...and the blue anodized parts look cool. The filter housing cap sends the oil to the bypass filter and the oil fill cap has the return line connection. Install was pretty simple. It took me longer to fabricate the filter housing mount using a 2"x2" L-metal piece of aluminum - which I mounted to the two top alternator mount bolts... and then mounted the filter housing to it. I mounted the coolant filter using Sinister's included bracket. Looks pretty clean and everything fits.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:10 AM

I used Hotshots my first go around and it mildly helped, added Rev-x the same way you did and it was like magic. Here I am a year and a few oil changes later and Im getting stiction problems again. Forgot about Rev-x and ordered up some hotshots secret and it made zero difference this time around. Wish I would have came here first and looked it up so I could by Rev-x right off the bat.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:15 AM

Hotshots has a money back guarantee so I can't see it being Hype??

Rev-x does not but folks have had plenty of good things to say

I have used both ,,, but just as Preventative measure
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm not saying that the hotshots didn't work.
I should have tried it with just the oil change first - without either additive to see if that solved the problem.
For my case, I think that was probably the biggest issue.
However, I'm sure that both the Hotshots and Rev-x helped.
Just wish I had been a little more scientific about it and been able to give some more detailed info.
I'm in Southern Calif and it doesn't get much below freezing maybe a couple days a year, but it was in the mid 50's yesterday morning...started the truck and it ran exactly as it should -- so I am quite happy with my results.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.