Intermittent Dead Pedal 2007 6.0 ?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent Dead Pedal 2007 6.0 ??

HELP NEEDED! Long time reader, first time poster. I have an '07 6.0 w/105k and an intermittent dead pedal issue. Several times over last month pedal went dead. Usually just after leaving highway and at the first red light after. Most times it would limp at idle and after 15-30 sec it would take off. Once it wouldn't until restart, then ran ok. 2 days ago after leaving highway @ stop sign it started choking and died, finally restarted on 5th try and limped to parking lot on idle then died, then no start. Came back 2hr later to tow her home, tried to start for kicks and no go. Next morning started right up as normal. Went to parts house (in other car) for new FF and replaced them just in case, checked for obvious connections and found nothing. Went to dinner about 10mi down road and noticed a very slight hesitation/power loss in pedal @ about 5mi like backing off pedal, but not moving my foot. Put it on cruise and it did it again so its not seat to pedal relay! Did the same thing on the way home, only the pedal went completely dead for 15 sec or so, then took off seemingly normal. Only codes were after no start situation (P2617, P2614, which I read a stall will generate. No engine codes at present. I am needing to take my truck on a 1500mi run next Friday, and any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM

Sounds like you need a new accelerator pedal. Mine 2006 truck did the same thing a few years ago and I got the pedal replaced under warranty. My pedal acts up maybe once every 2 or 3 months or so, then I take my foot and bang on the pedal a few times and it works again. I'd replace it but my truck has the adjustable pedals in it and they cost a lot of money to replace. I hope your truck doesn't have the adjustable pedals. Next time your truck acts up just trip tapping or beating on the pedal and it might get you by for a while. Been about 6 months or so since mine did it last.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update, today it ran fine to work. Got to work and ran a scan just to check (didnt have any lights on dash). Came back with P1780, & P2284. P2284 was ICP code. First time I have seen this one. Went online to research and came back out and scanned again and it was gone, no codes. I didnt erase anything earlier???? The other one was Trans*****, just ran the KOER without pushing the tow/haul button, researched and re-ran the test again and it went away. I went to dealer and picked up an ICP & harness to replace tonight. Truck ran fine on way home until I took the exit off of highway. Idled to light with dead pedal, then died with a no-start for 10 min. Finally started and got me home. Seems like it happens more often from driving steady throttle and then completely letting go of pedal and coasting to stop, rather than gradually bringing the throttle down. Not sure , just an observation. I will update again tomorrow.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
You're probably losing oil pressure from the STC fitting on the back of the high pressure pump. They won't always fail directly and can cause some weird problems
Old 10-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanoid View Post
Update, today it ran fine to work. Got to work and ran a scan just to check (didnt have any lights on dash). Came back with P1780, & P2284. P2284 was ICP code. First time I have seen this one. Went online to research and came back out and scanned again and it was gone, no codes. I didnt erase anything earlier???? The other one was Trans*****, just ran the KOER without pushing the tow/haul button, researched and re-ran the test again and it went away. I went to dealer and picked up an ICP & harness to replace tonight. Truck ran fine on way home until I took the exit off of highway. Idled to light with dead pedal, then died with a no-start for 10 min. Finally started and got me home. Seems like it happens more often from driving steady throttle and then completely letting go of pedal and coasting to stop, rather than gradually bringing the throttle down. Not sure , just an observation. I will update again tomorrow.
A few observations from your concern description: A dead pedal or no throttle response can be caused by a short in the pedal itself. It can usually be easily daignoised providing you have or can get access to a scanner that can read live data. The APP or accellerator pedal position PID can usually confirm or eliminate the pedal assembly itself providing the concern can be duplicated or monitored at the time of the concern. As stated above, a HP oil system concern can also cause weird issues with your engine. Based on what you you desribed, I would also look closely look at a possible VREF short in your wiring harness or on of the circuits that uses a 5 volt reference voltage. ICP,EBP,EGR are common circuits that a short can occur. This can cause a number of issues. A short in VREF can sometimes but not always cause the PCM to reset (gauges to sweep or not work at all). I would recommend wiggle testing the wires/plugs on the ICP sensor, EGR valve and EBP sensor. You should do this with the engine running and see if the idle quailty changes or causes a stall. With the circuit code for the ICP sensor, I would check that first. Un-plug the sensor and ensure the white plastic cage is connected to the plug and not missing. Get the engine to operating temp,(EOT above 185 degrees) wiggle the connector and see if the idle changes. In SIMPLE TERMS, The ICP sensor is a signal return to the PCM to determine how much pressure the HP oil system is making. If the ICP sensor is biased, the PCM may "think" it has more high oil pressure than it needs and allow the IPR to lower its duty cycle, this can also cause the "dead pedal" concern as well. This may not be YOUR problem, but it is something that I see from time to time. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Dead pedal?

For over 2 years now, I've had almost the same problem. My '04 will just lose acceleration for about 8 to 10 seconds. No pattern at all. Engine runs fine otherwise. I've replaced the EGR, ICP, belt (was getting a battery light) checked the ficm, MAP sensor replaced, all filters replaced, checked the ficm wire loom and the dealer can't figure it out. I too have the adjustable pedals. I'm was thinking about sending the ficm out for repair even though it tested good. And there are only 44,000 miles on the truck!!! Any other thoughts!!
Old 01-29-2013, 08:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My dead pedal

About 3 years ago, I left a stop sign and at about 15 mph, the truck dropped to idle. It lasted about 8 to 10 seconds and was fine after that. This has happend about 40 to 50 times since. NO common denominator. Engine hot or cold, weather hot or cold and so on. Checked ficm, adjustable pedal asy, batteries, replaced icp after it failed. Cleaned the egr valve and replaced the fuel filters. Removed the locking gas cap and put the factory cap on. Thought the vent may be bad. Since it was so eratic, I could not tell if I fixed the problem. Took it to FORD. They replaced the egr valve. It did it again about 3 months later. Replaced the fuel pump, replaced the 9 year old belt that was slipping (44 kmi). Checked the ficm wiring. NO LUCK. Bought a scan gauge to keep an eye on the ficm voltage and cleaned the egr again. AND I also changed brands of diesel. It's been fine now for 4 months. I starting to lean towards a stuck egr valve. When I pulled it to clean it, I did not hear any moving parts. After cleaning, I could hear parts inside moving. I also noticed with the old brand of fuel (76) I blew a lot of soot when I jumped on it. Now with Shell, it does not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.