How can I tell if I have bad Injectors??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
How can I tell if I have bad Injectors???

I have a 2003 F350 with a 6.0 PSD. In the am it cranks up and runs smooth. But if you give it some throttle it acts like it has a dead cylinder or two. If i drive it right away its very sluggish until i get about 1/2 a mile down the road then it picks up and runs find all day, even after sitting at work for 8 hours. If I let it run for about 5 to 10 minutes on first crank of the day it does great all day long. Iv read where people have injector trouble with the 6.0's. Could it be a glow plug? I need some help figuring this out.. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2007, 04:46 AM
I don't know nuttin....

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many miles?
The 03 6.0s were more problematic as i understand it. Have Ford do a power balance test and while its in there ask for the lastest and greatest coldstart reflash (version 2). That may be all it needs. Power balance test will show if you have some lazy, worn out injectors.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:15 AM
Premium Member

Its got just over 107k on it. Last night after posting the thread I went out and fired it up for the first time in a few days. It ran like crap cause it was like 50 outside. After a few minutes of idling it smoothed out. The low fuel light was on so i thought i would put some injector cleaner in it and let it run for a wile. I got a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner and dumped in the whole bottle. I let it run for about an hour and drove it really hard for about 10 miles. I didnt try to crank it this morning but it was running better than ever last night. Maybe your right about taking it to ford for the reflash. Ill see about doing that.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:23 AM
I don't know nuttin....

That reflash has helped many injectors....after some miles on them, they seem to get a little weak on start up and this reflash helps. Basically what it does is shoot high voltage to the injectors upon start up causing the injector to overcome the sluggish effects of cold fuel.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:26 AM
Premium Member

Cool, well i think ill give my Ford Dealer a call and see when they can work me in. Thanks for the tips.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:33 AM
Emergency Services

Send a message via AIM to cchase
can they reflash 99-03s? and if so how much does it useally cost?
Old 10-23-2007, 05:36 AM
I don't know nuttin....

I don't think this flash will help a 7.3 but I'm not sure of that. Its the 6.0 injectors that have been problematic.
Someone smarter than me will have to chime in on that!
Old 10-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

the inductive heating flash has solved alot of running issues for people..depending on your build date, you may have the C94 injectors, which have been problomatic for some...

i had 2 of them start leaking BADLY...there is no tune that will make THAT much smoke!!!
Old 10-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Premium Member

Tomorrow im taking it to Ford to spend the day getting checked over. When i called them they knew exactly what i was talking about. I feel like this will fix it because it runs really smooth and no smoke, except for the first crank of the day but i still get no smoke. Thanks for the advise.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

EGR Question.

Ford just called me and said that they reprogramed my computer so that should fix my rough start problem. They said its showing a code that the EGR has poor flow. They want over 300 for the part and 65 bucks labor. My question is: Where is the EGR and do yall think i really need to replace it? Iv heard folks talk about bypassing it some how, would any one recomend that? Help save a fellow powerstroker 300 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.