major coolant leak, maybe egr or heads? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
major coolant leak, maybe egr or heads?

ok got a 2005 with 104k on it, stock head bolts and egr still on, when i bought it had two injector codes, installed new injectors and ran great. now seems like i have a coolant leak, the right and left side of the motor is covered in coolant, hoses apear to be good, also checked the small hose under the turbo, valley seems to be pretty dry. but seems like the coolant is on the valve covers above the head gaskets. runs good, does smoke white upon start up some, nothing really bad though. i got and egr delete getting ready to install, but checked the egr valve, maybe damp but nothing excessive in the bottom. is it possible to blow both head gaskets at the same time, with no puking or lose of power? any ideas will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 06:23 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are you sure its not blowing out of the cap? Hate the puking termanology but could it be puking.lol
Do you have any way to monitor the engine values? Scanguage Edge ect??

It is really important to have a way to monitor the engine, and where I would start is with the ECT/EOT temps to see how your oil cooler is doing.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
no havnt got around to getting a monitor device but working on that asap. i know someone that has a scan tool so i will check temps soon as i get a chance. from what i have seen where other people have the coolant coming out of the cap, the top of the degas bottle is ok.

when the headgaskets are leaking how do they leak, drip or like spray? got an egr delete kit to install but dont know if its the cause or what.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The head gaskets can leak out of the block or through the cooling system you can also put a pressure guage on the cooling system.
Get a hold of your friends scanner and see how the coolant and oil temps are. If you have something going on with the head gaskets, egr cooler it will show it.

Myself I have a ScanguageII that I paid $160.00 for at Auto Zone and is a on the shelf item. Not the nicest or the best one out there but for the price and it's ability to see everything your PCM sees it is a great deal.
A must have for all 6.0 owners and you leave it plugged into the truck all the time to monitor engine temps ficm transmission temps and on and on. code reading blah blahh blahhhhh Best money I ever spent on the truck.............. you may have a heater hose spraying somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.