06 6.0 help...? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
06 6.0 help...?

Howdy, bought my truck in nov of 05 and on the maiden voyage egr went out. Since then I have had it replaced once more and the dealership had to completely clean the intake due to soot build-up.They told me to use cetane and run it a bit harder and do not let it idle for extended periods...Well it blew up over the weekendpulling a 10,000 lb trailor.Lost all power and died towed it to moses lake where the dealer is looking at it now...bummer..I have heard alot of bad things regarding the 06 diesel even from ford themselves,,,go figure any thoughts sts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2007, 10:14 AM
Premium Member

Were there any other symptoms, like a check engine light or coolant puking, smoke, or did it just die? The newer 6.0s, like 05 to 07 are pretty solid motors and it should treat you well, sorry to hear your having problems though.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey thanks for the response..I have had the check engine light come on twice and each time it was egr related as stated in first post. As for yesterday it started of running a little rough and then power just diminished rapidly. I didnt notice any smoke however I was glued to the dash and then it just quit..I tried to to restart it once and it would not go so I just called for help...The tow truck driver told me he has towed quite a few of these....STS
Old 10-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Premium Member

How many miles does it have, and when you tried to restart it would it crank, cause you say it wouldnt go?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

45,000 miles and it would turn over?
Old 10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

so many things it could be , like said before , but 06 doesnt really give alot of problems, if i ad to guess , either a injector blew the o-ring out of the cap causing a high pressure oil system leak, or the high pressure pump blew the fitting off of it
Old 10-23-2007, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just joined this forum and may I state right off the bat, I know almost nothing about these trucks, except we love ours.

It's an 07, F250, Diesel, King Ranch. It has only 12,487 miles on it and the check engine light came on.

Needless to say the manual that comes with the truck tells us nothing except take it to the dealership.

I did look online elsewhere and found out that even a loose gas cap could cause the problem.

But gee, this think is less than 2 years old and has never pulled anything and only has just over 12,000 miles on it. Surely we aren't going to start having problems with it are we?

It's a good thing we don't have a house payment because this truck qualifes for that. And if we are already having to take it into the dealership because of problems, well, that's not acceptable.

I guess I'm asking for some balm here, can anyone tell me what it may be, hopefully something simple like tighten the gas cap? Or should we take it in and have it checked? If there's a problem, we're not going to pay for it, that's for sure. Ford can have the truck back. Not going to pay that much for a problem vehicle.

Sorry, guess I'm kinda fuming here.

Thanks all.

Last edited by Sharon; 10-23-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
Just joined this forum and may I state right off the bat, I know almost nothing about these trucks, except we love ours.

It's an 06, F250, Diesel, King Ranch. It has only 12,487 miles on it and the check engine light came on.

Needless to say the manual that comes with the truck tells us nothing except take it to the dealership.

I did look online elsewhere and found out that even a loose gas cap could cause the problem.

But gee, this think is less than 2 years old and has never pulled anything and only has just over 12,000 miles on it. Surely we aren't going to start having problems with it are we?

It's a good thing we don't have a house payment because this truck qualifes for that. And if we are already having to take it into the dealership because of problems, well, that's not acceptable.

I guess I'm asking for some balm here, can anyone tell me what it may be, hopefully something simple like tighten the gas cap? Or should we take it in and have it checked? If there's a problem, we're not going to pay for it, that's for sure. Ford can have the truck back. Not going to pay that much for a problem vehicle.

Sorry, guess I'm kinda fuming here.

Thanks all.
let me start out by letting you know that the 06 model 6.0 doesnt give many problems , if your truck is running fine and only has the check engine light on ,
being that it is an 06 model, i will bet that the code in it is a p0460 code which is nothing but a software gliche in that model truck, which is no more than a simple reprogram to fix, the code that is set is a fuel level error code which can be set when a auxiliary tank is installed in the truck, im sure you dont have an auxiliary tank , but for some reason still set the code , if thats the case like i said its a simple fix and after the reprogram will not come on again for that issue ,
Old 10-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
let me start out by letting you know that the 06 model 6.0 doesnt give many problems , if your truck is running fine and only has the check engine light on ,
being that it is an 06 model, i will bet that the code in it is a p0460 code which is nothing but a software gliche in that model truck, which is no more than a simple reprogram to fix, the code that is set is a fuel level error code which can be set when a auxiliary tank is installed in the truck, im sure you dont have an auxiliary tank , but for some reason still set the code , if thats the case like i said its a simple fix and after the reprogram will not come on again for that issue ,
Well, I got the papers out and it is a 2006 model. We bought it in January and wasn't sure if it was a 2006 or 2007. This January it'll be 2 years old.

Anyway, thank you so much. You've made me feel so much better about our King Ranch.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 PM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
Forgive me, it's an 07. I edited the post almost immediately after I realized my mistake, but I guess the edit didn't take in time. Is it still the same problem with the 07? And if so, will they charge us anything at the Ford dealership do you think?

If it's the same problem, that's not too bad, at least from your explanation it doesn't sound too bad. Thanks so much!
well that does change everything , i dont think that the 07 has that problem , but the 07 doesnt give any problems either , if its a 07 with less than 100,000 its under warranty so thats not an issue as far as the money , ive been trying to think but nothing just pops into my mind on a common problem with the 07 model, i bet its nothing to be concerned with though , take it in and get them to pull codes , and let us know what the outcome is , id like to know myself just for general knowledge , youll find the guys on here are good guys and rather knowledgeable about these trucks , so any questions by all means ask, there are no stupid questions , the only thing i will tell you is next time you post on the site its a good idea to start you own post with a question , some guys get offended if you quote (hijack there thread with there question ), not a problem just letting you know since your new to the site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.