Turbo surging ?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 08:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo surging ??

I just got done putting my 05 CCLB together last weekend from doing studs, bullet proof oil cooler, coolant filter, and every factory updated or upgraded part that I could find. In the process, I put on a 4" MBRP turbo back exhaust w/ cat delete and 3.5" downpipe and S&B CAI, and replaced all of the CAC boots, serpentine belt, and radiator hoses, disassembled the turbo to clean up the unison ring, vanes etc, and did a CCV mod. The truck is running great, with the exception of what sounds like the turbo surging a bit.
I looked through as many threads as I could find on this issue, and I'm still not sure where to go to get rid of this. It sounds like the turbo is continuously trying to figure out what position the vanes should be in. What I have found is that it is possible the the slot in the unison ring that controls the position of the vanes could be worn, causing the vanes constantly be changing positions. My CTS is showing that the VGT % is constantly fluctuating 2-5% or more whenever the turbo is producing 4 or more lbs of boost. Even under hard acceleration it jumps around the 2-5%. At idle it sets steady at 85%. I understand that the turbo constantly adjusts for engine RPMs, however, is this amount of correction normal. Am I only just now hearing it since I put the S&B on, and it is more noticeable because of that? Is it possible that the exhaust and CAI are flowing so much more air than stock that it is confusing the turbo or maybe causing mild compressor stalls? I'm hoping that Mad or MWilbur will chime in since they have learned so much about turbos over the last few months. Any suggestions on where to look to solve this would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Have you taken a look at your egr valve or cleaned it up? Do you have the ability to track desired and position of it? The MAP controls the egr and tells pcm where your boost is at from the intake manifold may be hangin up a bit?
I can tell you the S&B will change the amount of air coming across the maf sensor. You will be a bit more likely to have turbo flutter with aftermarket air intakes, I too have a S&B intake but it's sitting behind my shop at the moment. I would try putting back on the Donaldson filter assy, I know it's not as pretty but it's better for the turbo and less likely to send backpressure into your intake.
Try that first and egr to see if anything changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.