Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

coolant disapears then comes back + fan

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  trawak 
#1 ·
Hey all, been chasing this problem a while so im putting to you pros for some advice, I thank you in advance for your input!
I have 04 F350 DRW. Having a problem with it getting hot when I go up grades and it is more pronounced when pulling my toy hauler.
What I notice is this, the fan will cycle on and stay on until I get home and drive on level roads for a while. Also it will get hot, the needle just about gets pegged idiot light comes on and I pull over and let it cool. If i baby it no problems just that annoying fan and runs a bit hot.
I also notice the coolant disapeares from the degas bottle but it finds its way back once I stop flogging it.
If I get on it around town "phoenix az 110 plus" I can get it to overheat way too easy. Not my first PSD:wink[3]:
Also no puking out of the bottle! im not missing coolant at all so its not a head gasket and no I havent done studs yet but thats on my short list!
And not kicking any codes.
I have done the following trying to repair this issue:
Removed the coolant pump to look if its the upgraded model and look for broken vanes. It is the upgraded one and all is good.
Replaced the thermostate.
Replaced the Oil cooler and EGR along with new coolant.
Replaced the fan clutch
Tink I should throw a radiator at it maybe its clogged??????????????

Thanks for your help!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would bet on the waterpump myself, just guessin though.

#3 ·
Check that the hose from near the center of the engine to the degas bottle is not kinked and the nipple coming out of the engine is not blocked as its not that big.

#6 ·
Ooops, was a guess.lol stange no clue unless there is a huge air lock somehow???

#7 ·
I wouldn't rule out head gaskets until you've verified it with a pressure test. My truck has been doing the same thing for months. I changed thermostats, coolant pump, and did flow test on radiator. Issue was still there. I recently did a pressure test on the system and, sure enough, the pressure would spike with throttle input, and drop down to 16 psi (release pressure of degas cap). I was in denial about head gaskets all this time because the truck ran great, it wasn't puking if I kept the level below the minimum line, there was no white smoke, and no coolant at the tailpipe.

#11 ·
Ok fellas here's my job for tomarrow,
I got the fleet guard cleanser and the fleet guard
300k coolant plus a new all aluminum radiator. Have
A sinister coolant filter kit on the way also!
Gonna fallow the excellent write up on this forum to complete
The job.
The ill take the truck for a hard up grade run and maybe hook the camper
Up. Hope to clean up my overheating issues. Thanks for all of
Your help.

Attachments

#12 ·
I just finished a coolant flush today,changed Ford Gold to Cat EC1.

I put in a small amount of liquid cascade dishwashing soap after draining out gold stuff and removing thermostat. Ran up to around 170 degrees which was as high as it would get and drained out cascade.
I got a 55 gallon drum of distilled water and used a 1/2 hp pump with a 5/8 hose to push out coolant.
Removed upper and lower radiator hoses and both block plugs.
Pulled out recovery tank and its hoses, also disconnected heater core hose at coolant filter tee connection.
Connected pump hose to heater core return at recovery tank and pushed all old fluid out of core.
Connected 5/8 pump hose to other end of coolant filter line and pumped DI water through the pass side of block.
Connected 5/8 pump hose then to driver side of block (other hose that connects to recovery tank) and pushed DI water through it.
Put 5/8 pump hose in top radiator port and pushed DI out bottom outlet.

Repeated this 3 times and after third draining I poured in 3-1/2 gallons of Cat EC1 coolant topped off with DI water and took it for a 30 mile drive, oil cooler temps are the same around 5 degrees at 70 mph But hoping to keep them there. I opted not to use the chemicals because oil cooler and engine temps are good. I will see how the EC1 does here looks a bit strange seeing a red coolant in the tank, glad to finally have it done :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.