Intermittent rough idle, no smoke, no codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermittent rough idle, no smoke, no codes

2004 F250 6.0L – 180,000 miles
About ten months ago I went to the store and my truck was running just fine, but when I was on my way back home it suddenly had no power at all, couldn’t even go up a very small hill and was billowing white smoke. I though I had lost an injector. There were no codes. I shut the truck off and checked a few things but didn’t find anything obvious. I then restarted the truck and it ran great, nice and smooth, lots of power and no smoke! This has never happened again, however, for some time now my truck has had an intermittent rough idle. Most of the time it runs just fine, however sometimes when I get to a red light or off the highway the truck will have a rough idle. 99% of the time I can get it to go away if I can give it a hard acceleration for a few seconds down the road, and then it will be running just fine again. There is no smoke or engine codes, no oil leaks and no coolant leaks.
The only other incident that has happened was about two weeks ago. I got off the highway and the truck was running rough. I couldn’t open it up because I had to sit through a series of red lights and lots of traffic. As I went the idle got rougher until the truck would almost not move and was shuddering badly. It would build up speed very slowly even with the pedal to the floor. Finally I was able to get it up to 45 mph with the rough idle and no smoke. The engine light came on with codes for “injector circuit low” on 6 cylinders. After I got onto the highway I got the truck up to 65 mph and still no smoke. After a few miles the engine suddenly got smooth and the truck had no problem accelerating. It was like nothing ever happened. When I got home I cleared the codes and they have not come back and the truck continues to run just fine except for the intermittent rough idle which had already been present. I’m thinking a sticking ERG or a FICM issue? Just strange that it comes and goes like someone turning a light switch on and off. Anyone have suggestions or has seen this happen before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 PM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Just by guessing would lean towards the ficm because of the six injectors coming up for codes. Also take out your egr and clean it up.
Batteries are very important along with the alternator of coarse. You need a scanguage or something to monitor the engines values.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey jtlobster. I'm not sure I can help you but my truck has been doing the same thing. I have a 2006 450 with egr delete, scangauge shows ficm is running 49v consistently. It has been doing it for about 4 months until the other day when I got stuck on the side of the road about 100 miles from home. Same "light switch" type of problem. Runs great for a little while, then it will barely get out of its own way. Now, however I think its done. Won't even start. Anyway, I have been through the whole truck and I believe it is some problem with either the injectors or the wiring harness going to the injectors. I hope someone can lead us in the right direction. I'm sick of throwing parts at this thing.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Both of you need to check your:

FICM:
logic
main pwr
sync

ICP/IPR
koeo
cranking
idle

Start there and post what your values are. If you cant get it started just post: koeo/cranking
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.