Overheating when towing in overdrive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Overheating when towing in overdrive

Engine getting hot when towing my 31’ travel trailer. Dealer did a ride along and concluded that the fan clutch was bad and there was a restriction in the oil cooler. Replaced both, still getting hot. I’m not losing coolant. The fan is not cutting on when the temp gauge goes up. I hooked up my Superchip Flashpaq to monitor actual engine temp. Engine gets up to 242 degrees and the “check gauge” light comes on but no fan. This only happens when I am towing and it shifts into overdrive. If I punch the accelerator to make it downshift and get some more revs, the temp backs off. A/C still blows cold. Trans temp is perfect. Does anyone have an idea where to look next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Premium Member

Dont tow in overdrive.

But you could have a problem with a relay not turning fans on.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you still have your egr valve and is it plugged in? What year is your truck,mileage?
When the cooler was changed was the system flushed? That temp was it coolant temp or oil temp? What were the actual other temps?

On the ride-a-long did the dealer scan and do a data log and give you a copy?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

2004 6.0 Powerstroke 160K miles

I was waiting for the "don't tow in overdrive". Prize goes to average guy.

I had the egr cooler replaced with one of those Bulletproof ones about 25K miles ago along with the oil cooler.

Yes, the tech did a data log and gave me a copy. Don't have it with me right now. I do remember that the oil temp was a lot higher than water temp.

The system was flushed. I'm not sure what temp I was reading. It was on my Flashpaq and said "engine temp".
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Premium Member

Sorry it had to be said. On second thought I dont think there is a relay for the fan clutch. Also id freak out if my temp jumped to 242°.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by averageguy View Post
Sorry it had to be said. On second thought I dont think there is a relay for the fan clutch. Also id freak out if my temp jumped to 242°.
Yup, I left the door wide open for that.

I am freaking!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

One of the reasons for asking for more info is if the flush was done after the cooler was changed you may have plugged it up againn from stuff loosened from the flush especially if a chemical flush was used. Your radiator and heater core could also be restricted.

If your haveing high delta's again that is a good possibility.

There is considerable debate amoung the varieous forums whether to flush or not to flush. No real consensus yet.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
One of the reasons for asking for more info is if the flush was done after the cooler was changed you may have plugged it up againn from stuff loosened from the flush especially if a chemical flush was used. Your radiator and heater core could also be restricted.

If your haveing high delta's again that is a good possibility.

There is considerable debate amoung the varieous forums whether to flush or not to flush. No real consensus yet.
Gotcha. I'm pretty sure it was flushed after the the oil cooler was replaced. Man, I hope it's not clogged up again. The shop that did it is in Florida and I am in Maryland. Is there an easy way to check the temps myself or should I just take it to the dealer?
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Do you have a monitor to monitor vitals (EOT/ECT deltas, temps, boost, vgt, voltages)? Scangauge II is like $160. You can probably find one at Autozone. You should invest in one especially if you are towing. What color is your coolant? Is it still gold or is it turning a rust color?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was in your position a few months ago taking a camping trip to Niagra Falls. Except you are in a slightly better positon. Right now, you are probalby looking at replacing just the oil cooler. I had a blow egr and oil cooler and head gaskets. I would take it to the dealer and have the oil cooler checked/replaced. Otherwise, you'll be replacing the egr cooler and maybe blow your head gaskets...

My 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.