Blue Smoke on Takeoff - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Blue Smoke on Takeoff

I've been searching through old threads and posting about my issue, but I might as well see if I can get some attention with my own truck. Blue smoke started about a month ago. A bluish trail appears once the truck gets to about 2K RPM's and continues until it shifts from 1st to 2nd unless I floor it, then it'll smoke again as it hits 2K RPM. It smokes a little worse when the fluids are not fully warm. FMP is never less than 47.5, fuel pressure is 64 at idle and always over 60 unless WOT, then it slowly falls to 56 in the upper RPM's. I don't know if the smoking issue is related to my surging issue, but the truck surges pretty bad when cold. It cleans up a bit when at operating temp, but slightly evident when fluids are over 190. The boost bounces quite a bit. WOT runs yield 24ish down to 19ish and is moving constantly. Cruising at 70, the boost still bounces +- 2PSI on a flat HWY. VGT seemed to be very stable and within spec while cruising and idle. Fuel mileage is pretty much awful, 11.8 City and 15 HWY.

No boost leaks that I can see/hear. All CAC boots are less than a few months old. The VX9F strategy eliminates the EBP sensor value, correct?

Anybody know where I should start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 04:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blue smoke is useually raw lube oil trying to be burned. Do you see an ecessive amount of oil in the intake duct? The air turbine seal may be leaking or your ccv filter may be saturated altho I am not shure how that would affect your boost issue.

I would suspect possibly low pressure oil fluctuateing but you say vgt stays stable so thats kinda out.
I am not shure on which flash version it was but they did do away with actual ebp and used an inferred ebp. This also was later done away with because of issues it caused on it's own and they went back to actual ebp.

I am not shure I am actually helping any but just puting out the info for you to consider.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:43 PM

I'm not sure what "excessive" is, but there is oil still in the intake ductwork. I can snap a pic of it, but it seems less than when I had the OEM CCV and I've never blown a boot....yet.

My CCV catch can is almost completely dry aside from a few specs of oil on the stainless mesh screen and absolutely nothing in the "cup".

I didn't know they went back to the actual reading for the EBP, thanks for correcting me. Still leaves a question, I guess, unless someone knows which strategy uses it and which does not. Maybe a call to Matt at gearhead to see if he knows.

I'd like to get this figured out before the temps get too low around here...working on a vehicle in the snow sucks and I'd like to avoid it if at all possible.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Man I hear ya 2-3 ft of snow and near freezing sucks to work in. But then 110deg and no shade ain't no fun either LOL
Old 10-06-2012, 05:01 PM

HAHA, true.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:59 AM

Well, now I'm stupified. I switched over to my SRL tune and no smoke. WTH????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.