Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005 Keeps Shutting off

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mhatlen 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 6.0 that shuts off whenever it wants to. Just died again. Plugged it into AE and all looked normal, no codes either. Tried swapping the egr with another one, ran for awhile, started acting up again. Sometimes it starts right back up, other times it has to sit a bit. I thought it was an oil pressure issue, but when I monitored it hot and cold, the pressures always stayed up 550-600 at idle. The FICM voltage doesnt come off 48.5 and the IPR hovers around 28-32%. Any help would be appreciated. We have six of these truck and all of them seem to have different things wrong with them. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Remove the upper fuel filter top up the houseing to just below overflowing. Disable the fuel pump and ficm so it can't start. While observeing the fuel have someone roll the engine over and watch for bubbles. If bubbles are present you are getting combustion gases in the fuel system this can eventually blow all the fuel out of the fuel rails and starve the injectors of fuel.

This is best done on a recently run engine.

#3 ·
I had him unplug the ICP and it ran fine for the next few hours. We replaced it with another one. (I have a lot of parts for these 6.0's in my cabinet.) If it acts up again today I will try the fuel filter thing. This may be a stupid question, but, where would the combustion gasses come from? An injector?

#4 ·
Yes from the injector tip seal. The injector tip is sealed from the cylinder by a copper washer which that keeps combustion gas from getting out.

When the injector is installed in the cup there are some o-rings on the injector body that seal off the fuel passages. The injector is then torqued to specs holding it all firmly in place. If for any reason this torque is lost the injector can become unseated and the exhaust gases leak by and melt the o-rings allowing the gas to get in the fuel passage itself. Since the gases are at a greater pressure than the fuel it will force the fuel backwards in the system.

Now I have to apologise I read something into your post that wasn't there. I assumed that since you had no codes and since you had checked IPR that you also checked ICP and found no issues so I moved on to the next probable issue.
I should know better than makeing assumptions by now. LOL

#5 · (Edited)
He may have a IPR valve with debris starting to plug up, (ideal % at idle is around 24) 28-32 may be a indication of something going on there.
If it stalls on you again take out the IPR and look at the screen for debris or a concave spring is a dead give away.

Real important to use the oem oil filters and caps to keep debris getting through and into the hpop side of things. Debris in there is also common after doing repair work on new oil cooler installs hpop ect, small debris left and even cloth from wiping down things can raise hell with the IPR inlet.
Good Luck with it, hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.