oil/water mix boiling out of water reservoir - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil/water mix boiling out of water reservoir

I have a 2004 6.0 w auto trans.
Today while programming my transmission to the newly installed Banks 6 gun (no speed loader), a whistling/fan-like noise persisted at level 4 (similiar to what I hear for short periods towing up-hill).
Then noticed steam coming from under the hood (water and transmission temperatures remained normal).
When I stopped, a thick oil/water mix was boiling out of the water reservoir, and there is minimal oil in the crankcase.

Does this automatically mean that the head gaskets are gone, or could there be a lesser cause. I read a lot about the EGR cooler and oil cooler problems, but could they present the same way?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 07:36 PM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

man that is weird, but maybe it could be enough to have stretched the head bolts and let the gaskets leak or the EGR could be pressurizing the cooling system, but the loss of oil is strange. Could check your oil cooler, i think they are prone to cracking and dumping oil into the coolant, that would explain your oil loss and oily coolant.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Rice Hunter

BUMP FOR GALE!!!
GOOD LUCK BUDDY!!!
Old 10-21-2007, 06:22 AM
If it aint a CAT itsa DOG

bump for ya buddy!
Old 10-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Is coming out with force or just overflowing? If its overflowing id say oil cooler. If it is coming out with force and exhaust gas more than likly its the head gasket. The early 6.0s were bad about the oil coolers cracking and its not really to big a deal so hopfully this is your problem.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My mechanic just called and said the EGR cooler failed which resulted in failure of the oil cooler.
He thinks the head gaskets are OK.
My question now is re the EGR. I have seen on this forum that a lot of people bypass the EGR. Do you recommmend that? Will that effect emissions inspections or cause any harm?
Old 10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Jon

Hey

Actually your oil cooler failed and that caused the egr cooler to fail. Yeppers, see it all the time. Get her fixed. Oh and one more thing. They will flush the system but there will always be residue in the system.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello all, I just recently had the same problem. They thought it was just the oil cooler, but once they got in there the oil cooler and the egr cooler were fine. So we dug farther. It was a blown head gasket. It was blown between the oil passage and the water jacket. It pushed all the oil into the water system. So I fixed it, and while I was there I went ahaed and replaced the Oil cooler and the EGR cooler, why not it was all ready off. just more money. Well drove it for a week and now I believe the HPOP is toast. WHAT THE *&%$. It never ends with this truck. It will pull a house down, but I dont know if I can trust it.
Old 11-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4 View Post
Is coming out with force or just overflowing? If its overflowing id say oil cooler. If it is coming out with force and exhaust gas more than likly its the head gasket. The early 6.0s were bad about the oil coolers cracking and its not really to big a deal so hopfully this is your problem.
I had same problem and dealer is now changing everything that the water goes through,radiator, engine and anything else in there. Has anyone had this before and is there anything else they should change and might not.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstewkids View Post
Has anyone had this before
yup, plenty of times. not me, but it's a common problem of the 6.0
Quote:
and is there anything else they should change and might not.
yes, install a coolant filter. http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...ROD&ProdID=324
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.