Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Can anyone help identify this part please?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  southend 
#1 ·
Can someone help me identify this part? I know this is gonna sound stupid but it's been buzzing really really loud lately, normally I get downtown and stopped at a red light beside a building and all I hear is the engine, but lately have been hearing a pretty loud buzzing, like a pump is failing somewhere.

Also last night I had to leave my truck at my buddies place and took his car home because the truck wouldn't start, but it didn't throw any codes...

Got back to it this morning and key'd on a bit longer to let it prime a bit longer and usually everything primes up within 5-10 seconds and shuts off, but this time something was still pumping the whole time I had the key on and when I went to start it, it started pretty rough but picked itself up pretty quick... Idled was a bit rough, between 640-700 wouldn't drop past 640. Drove it to work to see how it would go and it was fine.

But after I got to work and checked to see what was priming really long at it is this piece in question.

See less See more
#2 ·
k, little update, I realized it was a vaccum pump and if you look at the first picture there is a white barbed fitting that looks like there should be a line hooked up to it. Anyone got any idea where or what goes to it?

#4 ·
huh, that's weird.... why would they leave it open like that? either way, so if the pump doesn't stop while the key is on wouldn't that mean I have a vacuum leak somewhere? and would that cause a no start?

#5 · (Edited)
Yup exhaust port pump has to get rid of the air it sucks out somewhere.
Sorry what I am thinking of is useually smoth and black. I am kinda blind I do not see the line in your pics. If you have a 4x4 it could be the line to the hubs. Look for a loose line hangeing down somewhere.

#8 ·
Those hoses going down to the hubs get dry rotted, could be hub seals going bad. A vacuum leak usually makes your vent move to defrost also. Not sure of a procedure other than disconnecting and testing section by section.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.