rough idle this morning - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 02:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rough idle this morning

So the truck has been fine. no real issues..... I get up this morning and there seems to be wet spot under the truck. smelled it....coolant. The truck started right up, no long crank or anything and the idle is rough. NO smoke, NO codes. I let the truck warm up to normal temp, and drove, seemed like a loss of power. turbo boosted up fine. it was almost as if a cylinder was missing. I don't have a monitor to do a cylinder contribution test, waiting on that. Could this be a FICM problem? would a bad injector cause this even if I get no smoke? i'm just not sure where to start. i'm taking it to the place i bought it from because i have a warranty with them. But i want to make sure i know what i'm talking about. You know how the ealership mechanics can be....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 03:04 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes it could be your ficm, yes it could be an injector with no smoke.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok so i just went back to start it up again and its fine. no coolant on the ground... so i'm guessing this is a problem that only happens when it wants to. i'm still taking it in today to get everything checked out but still, this is strange. i'm guessing the FICM and the water pump need to be replaced. would a bad injector go in and out like that where it works fine and then goes out? from what i've read if there is stiction some revx might solve the problem. i'm going to grab some today to see if there is any dfference. but like i said it doesn't happen all the time. i'll have the FICM voltage tested today as well. i'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 AM
Premium Member

Your money is best spent here.....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
Rev-x will only help cold start rough idle condition. Could be ficm, injector, or icp/pigtail. Your truck will store codes.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I have an injector that only acts up ocasianoly drives me crazy.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

yeah thats what i think i'm dealing with. i'm here in Miami FL where its hot no matter what time of day it is. sometimes i cycle the engine 2-3 before starting in the mornings. just by habit i guess. do i need to do this or is once enough?
Old 08-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So just got back from the mechanic.....1 injector is fried and another is going out intermittently. Will be putting the truck in the shop tomorrow after work to get it done.

Sent from my SGH-T989
Old 08-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350Black View Post
yeah thats what i think i'm dealing with. i'm here in Miami FL where its hot no matter what time of day it is. sometimes i cycle the engine 2-3 before starting in the mornings. just by habit i guess. do i need to do this or is once enough?
Once is plenty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350Black View Post
So just got back from the mechanic.....1 injector is fried and another is going out intermittently. Will be putting the truck in the shop tomorrow after work to get it done.

Sent from my SGH-T989
You need to check fuel pressure and ficm to prevent further failure. Motorcraft filters and caps, you may also need the blue spring update. You also need a monitor, there is a good sticky on that. All these things, including injectors can be fixed by a novice mechanic with proper tools for a fraction of what a "mechanic" will charge.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
You need to check fuel pressure and ficm to prevent further failure. Motorcraft filters and caps, you may also need the blue spring update. You also need a monitor, there is a good sticky on that. All these things, including injectors can be fixed by a novice mechanic with proper tools for a fraction of what a "mechanic" will charge.

I had all of that checked at the mechanic. Everything else is up to par, only those 2 injectors. While I am mechanically inclined, this is all covered under my warranty so i'll just let them do it. Blue spring update, monitors, etc all of that is coming as well. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.