Dont always trust the dealer! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dont always trust the dealer!

I took my truck in for a diagnosis a week ago and the dealer told me it needed 2 injectors and a ficm. I thought about a for a little bit and ended up taking the truck home and ohm testing all the injectors and they checked out fine. I ended up ordering a new injector harness and already had purchased an ficm so I put them both in today and the truck runs flawlessly.

I'm not saying the dealer was trying to rip me off I just don't think they test the injectors how they should. I'm assuming they check ohms at the ficm plug rather than at the injector which would explain why they came up with 2 bad injectors (some sort of short/open in the harness)

Just a heads up for some of you out there that think the dealer knows all.

My truck was at the same dealer a week before for running rough and rind only dying out. They told me it was a lose plug on the ficm and told me they replaced the plug. 3 days later the truck started running worse and eventually couldn't even hardly move under its own power. That's when I took it back for the diagnosis and they told me it needed the injectors and ficm

Makes me wonder how many injectors have been replace when they were perfectly fine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 PM
Serving Our Country!

(Makes me wonder how many injectors have been replace when they were perfectly fine)

A bunch of them.
Doug
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

actually the rule is "NEVER trust the dealer"
Old 08-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

NEVER and only for warranty unless you know for sure they are good.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
here we go again

a failing ficm can cause individual cylinders to overfuel or de-fuel. Whenever ficm codes are pulled in addition to contribution codes the ficm should always be replaced first and then further diagnostics performed afterwards. It's not impossible to have a combination of both but the ficm should always be changed first to rule out the weird concerns it can cause

ohm testing injectors isn't a reliable way of testing them

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 08-12-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
NEVER and only for warranty unless you know for sure they are good.
And THOSE are the kind of customers that usually end up at "the back of the line", versus the customer paying customers, just so you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post

a failing ficm can cause individual cylinders to overfuel or de-fuel. Whenever ficm codes are pulled in addition to contribution codes the ficm should always be replaced first and then further diagnostics performed afterwards.
I can't count how many of these situations I've had coming into my bay. I now make sure our parts department always has TWO FICMs in stock due to the high rate of failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
ohm testing injectors isn't a reliable way of testing them
And for what it's worth, ohm testing any injector will give you the same readings almost always unless there is something electrically faulty on them that has failed. But what about mechanically failed injectors for which ohm testing isn't going to tell you squat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.