Come on guys help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Come on guys help

I posted this a while back and did not have a single response? so here goes again, this problem is getting old and hard my starter im sure;

So this is where I come when I have any issues with my 7.3 or 6.0 and you guys are great but i have not seen this issue here yet or cant find it.
2003 6.0l. I replaced all injectors on left side ran for a week with no issues till the rest came in. (Ford remans). I then replace the right side and ran for a couple days with no issue. Went to start it one morning and it just cranked for about 10 sec +/- and just started to smoke white at about 8 sec +/- into the crank. Turn the key off and back to start and she fires right off like normal with a little puff of smoke and purrs like a kitten.?????????? It seems like I am losing either fuel or oil pressure and I have to crank to build it back up to get the injectors going again? Been doing this for about two weeks now and only does it when I let it sit for more than 24 Hrs. Did i miss something when I did the right side injectors?..........
Now that it is a while later i have figuered out that if i crank on it for about 12-15 sec. constant, it will start. Once again it runs flawless just as soon as it starts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you could have a leak in your fuel system somewhere so it's losing pressure. Start with the simple things like checking to make sure that your fuel filter is tight. Until you figure it out, when starting, turn your key on for 8-10 seconds maybe three times before you start it, it will activate the fuel pump and build the pressure back up before you actually try to start it.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah, have you heard the fuel pump running when the key on engine off? Like Asheville said, I would first turn the key to the ON postition, see if the fuel pump is running and pressurizing. When I turn my key and wait for the glow plug light to go off my fuel pump runs, injectors clatter etc...
Do you ever hear a grunting noise when your fuel pump has pressurized? Not sure if it is supposed to but mine does
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

To know for shure what is happening you need to have the truck scanned with a scanner that can read live data while canking. Watch for fuel pressure and oil pressures.

You can also remove the fuel filter cover and see if you have fuel in the houseing.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the response guys. I do hear the fuel pump running and it does change pitch right after i turn KOEO. I even crawled under there. This has turned out to be somewhat intermittent. I dont drive the truck every day and some times it can sit for 3 4 days and fire up normal, then i might leave it sit for 12 hrs and it will crank forever and the start with a pretty good puff of white smoke. Thought maybe a filter so i serviced all of them but no change. I will try and find a scanner.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Oh and i have tried cycle the key many times but it didnt seem to change anything
Old 08-07-2012, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

with you saying your fuel pump running intermittently, I might lean towards that. Who knows though, Ive found out there are so many sensors that control fuel it could be one of several things. I am not sure where you're at but the scanner I got from O'Reilly didn't work for my truck
Old 08-07-2012, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

fuel pump does not run intermittently the problem does. Who out there knows where i can get a scanner that would be the best bang for my buck. kinda lookin for a tuner combo pretty quick also
Old 08-08-2012, 06:37 AM

since it started after installing the right side injectors, i would tear that side back down and check the o-rings and make sure the injectors are seated all the way down
Old 08-08-2012, 09:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

[QUOTE=Phil_wolf;3197403]fuel pump does not run intermittently the problem does. Who out there knows where i can get a scanner that would be the best bang for my buck. kinda lookin for a tuner combo pretty quick also[/QU

My fault I misunderstood
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.